Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Terra Nuova - work in progress

Wip Terra Nuova - work in progress

Greetings all, long time lurker, first time poster.

Anyway, this is the early version of a map I'm working on for a "New World" campaign. It's based off of the earliest known map of North America by Tomaso Porcacchi of Venice from 1572. The original map can be found here: http://www.raremaps.com/cgi-bin/gallery.pl/detail/6821

The final civilizations will be based upon some history and my imagination creating an alternate history "New World." I'm trying to combine several different CC3 techniques to create a unique style, I'll post updates as the map progresses.

Comments welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	terra-nuova-1.PNG 
Views:	137 
Size:	903.9 KB 
ID:	1595  
    Skycast

Wild Die - a random die roll of a blog | Savage Septentrionalis - Savage Worlds play-by-post

I am VERY much interested in this! I have always been intrigued with the fantasy / horror / alternative colonial campaign idea...so I can't wait to see where you go next with this. Neat idea to take a model, too, and play with that!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

"MONDO NVOVO" ... LOL, I think I get spam from him, about wanting to give me 19% of US$25mil if I send my bank numbers.

I love those old maps! I always wanted to emulate their style, but I ain't good enough and wind up getting sidetracked into a newer (obviously digital) style.

Looking forward to following this thread!

Thanks for the interest fellas; if I see this through to the end, this should be one of my biggest mapping projects. I'm great at getting started...not so good at finishing up!

Anyway, I'm not trying to emulate the style, just use the source for inspiration. The next update is below, added rivers and mountains as well as darkened the land color to blend in with the mountains.

Let me know what you think.

Name:	Terra Nuova - 2.PNG 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	1599  
    Skycast

Wild Die - a random die roll of a blog | Savage Septentrionalis - Savage Worlds play-by-post

It is pretty sweet, except....

The slightly blurred coastling kind of jars with the crisp mountains/text. If the coastlines were crisp things would be good, either that, put a slight blur on the mountains/text.

Other than that, as I said.....sweet!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

I don't think the coasts are actually blurred--there's just a glow on them. Maybe adding a brown outline just slightly darker than the land would help?
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Very nice work, Skycast. I like that you are mixing and matching elements from various CC3 products.

I'll echo the suggestion about turning down (or off) the Blur on the coastline.

On the mercator ocean background, I would also suggest playing around with the sheet effect settings on the OCEAN FILL sheet, perhaps turning down the Blur and turning up the Transparency.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

After a bit of goof-off Googling this week I happened upon another map I find interesting and it got me wondering which of the two to use as a basis. What do you fellas think of this one instead of the original one?

Name:	Antique_Map_Sanson_North_America_HR1683.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	822.4 KB 
ID:	1738  
    Skycast

Quote Originally Posted by Skycast View Post
    After a bit of goof-off Googling this week I happened upon another map I find interesting and it got me wondering which of the two to use as a basis. What do you fellas think of this one instead of the original one?
    It like that style very much. In the Tome of Ultimate Mapping from Profantasy there is a tutorial for creating that woodcut look around the coastlines (the closely packed horizontal lines).

You can see a sample CC2 overland map with that woodcut technique here.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast