Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darchome: The Capital Of The Abyssal Plane Of Despair

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip Darchome: The Capital Of The Abyssal Plane Of Despair

I decided that I needed a map of some of the locations of my Abyssal Plane of Despair Map. Darchome is the "capital" city and where the most powerful Demons (along with the Dragonqueen) reside. I'm going for a more "theatrical" approach to this as the atmosphere is more important than super realism. (after all this IS the Abyss..) Dark cloudy generally scary. As always feedback is requested and appreciated.. Thanks Oh and for those of you that tune in for the story stay tuned it's coming..
    *Edit* I just noticed all the leftover bits floating around the edges of this.. I'll make sure to clean those up

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Darchome.png 
Views:	116 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	33375
    Last edited by jtougas; 02-11-2011 at 02:17 PM.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Looks pretty cool, so far ... just one question and I suppose it's more philosophical than actually about your map ... why do people always draw subterranean-city houses with roofs? It's not just you, by any means ... there was a huge subterranean city of roofed buildings in Everquest back when I was playing it, even.

Blog Entries

Thats a very good point. Although this particular city is above ground.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Oh! Sorry about that lol, I heard "abyssal" and immediately assumed it was subterranean.

Blog Entries

Not always... I think people build "roofed" buildings underground for various reasons not the least of which is protection from things falling on them from the roof of the cave. Also there are ALWAYS spiders I know I would demand a roof..

Finished Maps

Haha. That's a good point, although in my experience roofs are no bar to spiders. /shudder

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Underground buildings with no roofs keep no heat in.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Wip

The Abyssal City Of Darchome was never meant for human inhabitants. This of course doesn't stop the wretched few that make their home here. Like most congregations in the Abyss, Darchome is a horrid place. Full of the evil beings that stalk the endless plains of the Abyss. Surprisingly however, there is also a fragile commerce here. Driven mostly by displaced humans and other beings of a more peaceful nature. That is not to say that these beings would not rip you limb from limb in the street over a copper piece while demons of all sorts dance and cackle encouragement....

I decided to give all of this Abyssal product a "unifying" theme. I also decided that NOTHING depicts the squalor and odd dimensionality of the Abyss better than Ravells' "Dark Cities" font. It's perfect....

Name:	Darchome.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	3.26 MB 
ID:	33452

Finished Maps

Blog Entries

Wip

The Infernal Market. Famous across the planes as a repository of all things obscure obscene and outrageous. Certainly the City of Brass has larger markets but no where has one more interesting. All manner of things may be bought and sold here. If you seek or desire it you will find it here....

Here it is in a mostly finished state. I'm really enjoying getting back to the Abyssal stuff and am getting closer to getting that adventure written. As always feedback is requested and appreciated.. Thanks
    And a BIG thank you to Ravells without whom I would have never gotten this done..

Name:	Darchome.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	33460

Finished Maps

You really seem to be hitting your stride with a consistent style across all these maps. And to think, you almost chucked the first one ... that would have been a real shame. This looks really cool, jt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast