Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tiwydwymacm

Guild Journeyer

More chimneys and taller, two feet above the nearest peak is typical for height of chimneys, these would never draft right and be subject to downdrafts.

Hey, you're right Galendae! Working so long on a project makes you blind for such details. I've raised the chimneys, but didn't made them smaller. The houses aren't width but deep, so I think the proportions are correct.
    Added a new picture to the first post: the scene at night.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The night time pic is awesome
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Great stuff Katto. Any plans for future buildings?

monks

Thanks monks, these buildings just have a storefront. I will have to finish them in future. I also have a special folder with buildings I would like to model (and variations of them). At the moment I don't know if it makes sense to model buildings individually or to use a software like "City Engine" and change parts at the end. Now I stopped mapping because I try to model the Bounty.

Wow, now that is really cool Kato! Kudos.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I had a look at City Engine...it's amazing, but I reckon your best bet is to model your buildings in a more traditional manner first. You could still use your models in City Engine and then go on to parameterize them in there. But you can use your models pretty much in any rendering engine at the moment. The Bounty sounds like a real challenge- all that rigging. Yikes! I reckon you'd learn alot though from doing that.
    I had a bit of a play yesterday with Sketchup.
    http://www.skindustry.net/medem/file...nSketchup2.jpg

We're looking for someone to model the fortress site (for Middle Earth in OuTerra). I may be starting a 3D Visualisation (3DS Max) course in September, so I'm looking into modelling at the moment. I've flirted with it- I've used ZBrush, 3DS Max a tiny bit in the past but really nothing to show for it yet. All my modelling has been with terrain modellers.

monks

It really depends on what you want monks. As I understood you can give general building rules to CE and then add details in your favourite modeller. I will have a closer look at it soon. If you need help with your project concerning modelling PM me and we can discuss it.
    Wow, ZBrush and 3DSMax are powerful programs, but the magic word you always read is "workflow". And I really have to say the people are right. I've tried a lot of programs and my favourites are Silo/Vue for modelling and rendering. Try as many programs as you can before doing any courses or use a program where you can find many tutorials, then a course is not necessary. Take a look at Modo 501, it's quite popular at the moment.

Thanks, Katto. Yes, workflow- one of those words you hear a lot. The course obviously have their own workflow- PS for texturing, 3DS Max and then Final Cut Pro for animations. I don't foresee any problems hooking up with 3DS Max from my terrain modelling programs, Terragen, World Machine and the like -I don't think we'll be doing that much terrain modelling in any case on the course- it's more architecture and product visualisation. I'm not used to working with meshes basically, and that whole navigating in 3D. All I'm doing right now is importing existing warehouse models into Sketchup and placing them- figured I'd learn a few things even just from that, and I have. Placing them correctly on a terrain mesh is not just a case of snapping to vertices- the mesh being irregular. Personally I'd rather use Maya- given the choice, but 3DS Max is up there with it. I've seen Modo- I'm on their mailing list, and it looks nice, but it's not something you see in the games industry job listings- it's always Max and Maya. I've not developed a strong preference for any 3D modeller.

monks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12