Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sorol in Google Earth

Professional Artist

Post Sorol in Google Earth

So I have reprojected and georeffed all of my regional maps, and created a kml file to view them, so you can see my world as an overlay on Google Earth. Note that it loads the images off my website, so it may take some time for the images to load. Patience! Anyway, let me know what you think or if you have any issues with the kml.

Thanks,
    Rob

Blog Entries

Awesome ! Thats pretty much what I was going to do with them. So now I don't have to

How much rep can I dish out in one go ????

This is great stuff! Looks like you've used Fractal Terrains Pro (or Wilbur?) for the terrain. I'd like to see more of this happening- so I think it's really useful to see the kml template available. ME-DEM have a guy, Seer, who handles this side of things (georeffing, GE, WorldWind, etc).

http://bullsworld2007.wordpress.com/...-wind-terrain/

http://wwterraintiling.spaces.live.com/

I think the two most difficult things to overcome for people is the georeffing and the terrain building. Well the second is not essential of course- and in any case, if you're using Google Earth, it doesn;t support user terrain, but World Wind does. That's why we favour that platform at the moment.

monks

Okay, here's my ignorant newb question. How does one use the kml?

Professional Artist

Quote Originally Posted by su_liam View Post
    Okay, here's my ignorant newb question. How does one use the kml?
    Just start up Google Earth and go to File > Open.

Okay, see... now this is how it is... I'm an idiot. Which explains the awful Ross Perot thing. I didn't realize google earth was a separate app. I was trying to open this in the google map site with my browser. Geeze.

Thanks for the help, mate. I need lots of it...

Google Earth really has me inspired. I can't seem to find a way to set elevation data, though. Am I missing something or is this basically hard-wired.

I'd be really interested in a more generalized "Google Planet" implementation with the ability to set "geoid" parameters(at least for oblate paraboloids: equatorial and polar radii, even better if you could have a true general ellipse). I'd love to be able to work out great circle and constant-bearing distances on any planet ranging from the Moon to Mesklin.

Anyway, I just thought I'd ask our industry professional if there was any way to set elevations with Google Earth. Then I sidetracked myself...

Quote Originally Posted by su_liam View Post
    Google Earth really has me inspired. I can't seem to find a way to set elevation data, though. Am I missing something or is this basically hard-wired.
    AFAIK there is no way to provide use terrain (elevations) at this time. Only images.

-Rob A>

Professional Artist

Sorry, no there isn't. I'm not really familiar with WorldWind, but it might have that capability.

-Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast