Thread: Gimme a 256x256 grayscale height map image and I'll post back the result.

Blog Entries

Post GeoTerSys: Gimme a 256x256 grayscale height map image and I'll post back the result.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    That is possibly the holy grail of 3d modeling for gamers....
    Thats exactly what my GeoTerSys is doing except that instead of using fractal calculations to get to a higher res it uses a terrain physics model to do it.

Have a look at this :-
    http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/ge...gory=pic_page6

The little gray image was the exclusive source to generating the top picture. See pic 5 for another.

Maybe I should run a demo and set of WIPs and people can mail in a source image and ill calculate a 'hands free' result based on it.

For any high res terrain you can save a small low res section from it and use that as the source to generate another high res data set. This is how we plan to generate the MeDem from the 20K initial base Dem drawn by hand to the 160K pix square final map. Nobody (even Monks) is mad enough to hand draw that size map.

Gimme a 256x256 grayscale height map image and ill post back the result.
    Last edited by RobA; 01-04-2008 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Moved thread and changed title

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    What can you do with the first greyscale image su_liam posted...
    Yeah that would be no problem. Its 2am here so I have to knock off now which is a pity. This greyscale would work just great but it has already been produced via Bryce. The idea of GTS is to take *worse* images than this and produce great stuff. But ill run it up and show you the result of it. Its actually quite a nice one since its a mountain and I can set up the temperature to drop snow, start some glaciers and maybe even a small volcano...

Edit -- Here it is as the native one for now just as a reference but ill run it through GTS tomorrow.

Edit #2: Actually, can some admin move this to a new thread... im on some kind of hijack mode now
    Last edited by Redrobes; 01-03-2008 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Presumably the RP in your handle is not initials
    So that there is no confusion, the RP in my handle are in fact initials. I have nothing to do with RPTools other than enjoy using them.

You should join up to this iCon 2008 thing and see them all and have a play with the whole lot. You just need broadband and a microphone headset.
    Already on top of the iCon thing. Unfortunately I wasn't able to attend last year, but I'm hoping to attend this year. I play via Ventrilo in my MapTool games so I'm pretty sure I have the requirements nailed down as well.

I noticed that your software is in the list of VTTs. Very cool. Hopefully I'll have the opportunity to check it out as well.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Blog Entries

Ok, I have the main terrain processed now. What I will do now is take a small square out of it and process it up some more.

Guhhh!?! Well, that's better than what I could do with bryce. Any chance of a mac port of geotersys?

Blog Entries

Got to get it going on Windows first. Every time I run it I find a new bug. They are getting less frequent and less important but its going to be in Beta for some time yet.

Then there is a UI issue as its all text based and command line. Its quite hard to run it right now. I had to write a script to generate that mountain run. I could use that same script to run a similar one tho so the idea is that the bit of ground next to this one gets processed in a similar fashion. I keep learning more about what is good and what is not as time goes on. I hope that I will be able to burn in some of the best techniques into something that I can make easy to use.

I could see myself producing a linux version and given that its all text based it ought to run easily in your virtual OS mode. It has numerous outputting/export formats so you can visualize the terrain in whatever app you wanted. The original idea was to have it as a plug in for some other terrain app that had the UI. So maybe it could run as a plug in for Bryce...who knows, its a bit early to say for sure.