Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: studioGidde Logo

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Yeah, that's why I never use opposite colors, especially red/green...too Christmasy. Blue/orange and purple/yellow look too much like something you would see on a SeaDoo, dirt bike, or monster truck. Did you try the split complements? They only work a little better, shrug. Red with blue-green or yellow-green. Or Green with yellow-orange or red-orange. I might try an amber or tan with that red...won't look good on antique maps, though.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Lol ... sometimes I wish my sister had never given me her little crash course in color theory. That wine is probably my favorite color in the spectrum, but as its complement is green, I'm ALWAYS fighting the christmas look. Maybe I should toss her advice out the window and try blue.

I suppose I could go monochromatic (other than the tan of the parchment), and get rid of the green altogether. Maybe I'll give that a try.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

a bit late to the thread I see... looking good Gidde, I like GiddeHand and good idea with releasing the font with more stuff in it commercially ... when one lives in a little country like me AND a country that has special characters æ ø å (don't know if they show up here) - I often run in in fonts that don't support my language. I had some problems when doing Disney stuff since the originals of course came from the US and the designers there often used "small" fonts that didn't featured our characters, which had me using time finding a font looking similar or trying to handdraw a character to fit the existing one. And with todays open type there really are no excuses left for not catering to all (other than not wanting to bother). The left bracket [ seems a little heavy?
    I like look of the upcomming webpage nice colors and neat background ... looking forward to seing it online. Concerning the logo I like the overall composition, the compass, the heavy and light text - however the colors is not really fiiting in my humble opinion, the green is to weak - although the black line helps and the maroon is to dark (although I really like it). And you'll have a hard time placing them everytime because they are so different so one of them will always stick out (or dissapear). I like the compass but you might wanna make a more stilized/cleaner version for when that is needed. I've made a ton of logoes over the years and the very complex ones often poses complex problems - especially in print. And make sure your colors work in CMYK as well
    Good luck with your website and for those guys who are planning to make their own - try out Wordpress or Joomla for size - they are easy to use (especially Wordpress) and you can do almost anything with them graphicly - either by your self, by adding a template (free or commercial) or by making your own design in photoshop (or the like) and making someone Wordpressify it for you (I know some guys in Manilla)
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like it as well. But I think the script 'Gidde' gets a bit lost.

For the longest time I've wanted to do something with "Temporal Fugue Productions" (or something similar), but have yet to come up with anything worthwhile.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Thanks for the suggestions & comments, tilt & SG

So I took them all to heart. Since the green was giving me nightmares, I went back to the color scheme tool and started with my wine color, realized that a triad scheme gives me the yellow base of the parchment and a nice pretty blue. And got rid of the green. As per tilt's suggestion and in response to SG's observation I brightened and increased the saturation of both colors, along with toning down the contrast on the compass in order to make the words pop a little more.

Better? Worse? Should I chuck it and start over after all?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	logopost.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	33521   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	logo.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	33520  

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks way better now
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    Looks way better now
    What he said...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Apprentice

I'd swap the blue and the wine colors. Right now, it reads "STUDIO gidde" when you want it to say "studio GIDDE."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123