Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: studioGidde Logo

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Default studioGidde Logo

Well, I wasn't going to bother the CG folks with this, but if GP, geamon, and Ravs can do it I guess I can too. Plus, I can't think of any group of folks whose opinions on this kind of thing I value more.

So here is the current logo I have going for studiogidde.com, which is bought and built (mostly), I'm just waiting for some Outside Employment paperwork to go through at the day job.

It's been (quite literally, unfortunately) giving me headaches for days. The problem is that I'm going to be marketing both my fonts and my maps on one site, and I can't seem to get across both ideas in the logo. It also means I'd like to stay away from using fonts I haven't created myself.

The current thumbnail (such that it is) is my avatar atm, and this is the full size logo that's on the page (by itself and in context):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	logo.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	33442   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	825.5 KB 
ID:	33443  

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like it Gidde. I think it conveys what you are trying to accomplish quite well
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Oh my word, this looks fantastic! (would you like to design my website too?)

Do you have / need a vector equivalent of your logo? You know, when they have to put it up in 30 foot high billboards, or paste it to the sides of aircraft?

I really like the creamy / ivory colours as your background and the way you've laid the menu out to the right.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys! I'm glad I posted. I was really about to chuck the whole thing (well, the logo anyway; I rather like the site design) and start over.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Do you have / need a vector equivalent of your logo? You know, when they have to put it up in 30 foot high billboards, or paste it to the sides of aircraft?
    I just laughed so hard at this my aching head tried to explode. To answer your question, I do have the writing vectorised, as it's 2 of my fonts-in-progress rather than drawn from scratch. The compass rose, alas, is raster only, to its detriment (thank goodness, the original is like 2000px). I played a bit with making it a font glyph today, but it turned out to be much more work than I was willing to do at the time. As to need, it's something I'll have to do eventually; as you can see, the little facebook thingie is a shrunk-down section of the logo and looks like absolute rubbish. So I've got to do something that scales for that, and for my avatar here, I think.

As for designing a website, I'd rather teach a man to fish, but I'd be happy to help you build something, Ravs. PM me if you want to work on it.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Looks great - I love that compass.

Any reason why it's Studio Gidde rather than Gidde Studio?

The green of the Studio is very close in tone to the compass - I'd lighten or darken it to separate it. I love the map background for the website - will that repeat or will it be a fixed background with the central panel scrolling over it?

Great work!

Rubbish is one of my favorite words Still, this isn't rubbish. I think it looks wonderful. It has the smoky or creamy feel that Immolate gets on his maps which I still haven't come close to. If you start up a web tutorial series I'll join as well
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde
    As for designing a website, I'd rather teach a man to fish, but I'd be happy to help you build something, Ravs. PM me if you want to work on it.
    I will! You will probably regret this offer when you find out how illiterate I am when it comes to HTML and cascading waterfalls or whatever they call them.

Thanks for the feedback, Torstan!

-- On the name: I'm not sure. studioGidde just sounded better to me, must be all the years of French culture I got steeped in as a child which puts the noun before the owner.
    -- On the green: I agree. I've spent *countless* hours trying to get that green right and failing. I'll try again ...
    -- On the background: Neither. Took me the better part of last weekend to get it to work, but it's actually stuck to the bottom corner of the page, so if you size the window or the content grows, it will still be right there in the bottom corner of the actual content.

Studio Ghibli is one of my favourite Japanese animation houses....if you haven't seen 'Grave of the Fireflies' or 'Kiki's delivery service' you've really missed out. I liked Gidde's choice cos it had that resonance.

Eek, some cross posts happened there. I'll think about a web design tutorial; I've had to do a couple of workshops at the day job, as well (which is why you don't see Web Design as one of the things my website is promoting; too close to what I do at the day job) and I may be able to kill more than one bird with a proverbial stone.

In the meantime, for anyone who thinks a web page's stylesheet has anything to do with a waterfall (), w3schools.com is FANTASTIC. It's my go-to for reference when I need to dig down into HTML/CSS again, and it's got fantastic tutorials as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast