Thread: Longtime lurker firsttime poster LONG

Default Longtime lurker firsttime poster LONG

Where to start? Lets see I have been a Member for about 2 years now.I followed a link from RPG.net .I am More of a skulker than a lurker. Since being a child I have had a need to create however being very left-brained it has always been hard. With the advent of modern art software it became a bit easier( it is almost impossible to erase through digital paper, I have come close though) I have spent a great deal of time collecting tutorials from the excellent posts here. I also have a large collection of maps saved for inspiration. As my name (lostatsea) insinuates I have little direction to my "artwork". I sort of go with the tide so to speak. Anyways I have a basic direction in which I want to go but I am still developing the techniques to get where I want to go. I think you'll find my technique a bit different then what is typically used. An anti technique if you will. I once saw an art student cover an entire canvas with solid charcoal and then with only a gum eraser, a finger and a smudge stick, pull out an extremely detailed still life of a wicker chair a teddybear a throw and ballet slippers. I don't have that kind of talent but I work alot in the negative space and a colud brush and the eraser are my favorite tools. For those still reading this I'll throw in an easter egg. I was sorting through files found a picture of scrolls "photoshopped" a couple of my own WIP into it and set it as wallpaper on my desktop. You should be more careful who you let join!! Cheers

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome !! (And it's a good thing they're not particular otherwise I'd have never gotten in..)
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Welcome aboard. Don't worry about how you do things. It's often the best way to find something totally different.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

Welcome, I am curious about your techniques now. I use some pretty unusual ones myself. Post em when your ready to share.

Guild Member

My own opinion is that the willingness to just wing it and see where it takes you is a crucial element in creating art. My maps might be noob-level, but I also work as a henna artist - and have managed to make (lunch) money with a surprisingly large proportion of improvised designs over pre-drawn patterns.

Go forth, and wing.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I sense a kindred spirit, as I too am a naturally non-artistic person who with a LOT of determination, will, and reading of these boards has learned to create some passable stuff Welcome!!

Welcome to the guild, lostatsea! When I first saw your picture I thought you'd used the reference picture I worked off (cut out from a magazine) to make this ships compass.
    But the reference picture I have has the needle pointing to about 340 degrees and yours is pointing to 160 ish. Must be more than one picture out there!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome, lostatsea . "...Different techniques..." Yay! Variety being good, and my own knowledge being deficient, more ways to do stuff is stellar!

As for that being a long post; nope, un-unh, no-way, nohow, not true. You owe us another several kilobytes just to get up to moderate length :-).

-jbgibson,
    the often very verbose

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave