Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arindelia - The Northern Continent

Blog Entries

Wip Arindelia - The Northern Continent

My submission for the last challenge was Praamador, a world created for my friend Dan, based on his instruction. Praamador was quite small, and had been the subject of one previous campaign. My concept of Praamador filled in some blanks, but remained faithful to the world as it was known to the players.

Dan requested that I create a second landmass, one that was bigger and to the north. He gave me a very rough sketch without so much as a single name. It was basically rectangular with a place in the middle of the southern coast shielded by mountains, and a city in the middle of the east coast with a "natural barrier creating a channel", which I took to mean a choke point, which you can find at South Harbor.

The northeast is "hilly, higher" and there's a sketch of the northwest mountain mass. I took some license. I haven't showed it to Dan yet but I will as I need him to make some edits at this stage. This uses the same faux-Ramah style that I used for Praamador. Your commentary and suggestions are welcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arindelia.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	3.85 MB 
ID:	33454
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Looks great. Did you use the treething for the trees? Their placement looks great.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

These are beautiful. My only tick (and it's a tiny mostly personal one) is that the forest text is a bit hard to read
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Blog Entries

Thanks and yes, tree thing was used. It's a little quirky but it's hard to beat the effect.

I agree on the forest text, but now that you mention it I know it isn't just me.
    ----------

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like it so far, but for me the green of the forest clashes with the 'olive' land color.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Nice work, one critique though, against the somewhat muted background colours the green forests seem to "pop" out a bit too noticeably.

EDT: Okay, ignore this. Steel said pretty much the same thing just before I posted this.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Blog Entries

I worked with my wife to try to tone down the forests (she's not colorblind). I created town markers that are less colorful and smaller than the ones on Praamador.

Views:	114 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	33473
    Last edited by Immolate; 02-13-2011 at 05:18 PM.
    ----------

I would recommend a half-pixel blur on the forests (and possibly some of the border elements). Everything else is nice and smooth, but the forests are a bit jaggedy and it jars me a bit.

Blog Entries

I tried to eliminate the jaggies with marginal success.

Views:	116 
Size:	3.75 MB 
ID:	33478
    ----------

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	33479I think it looks much better with the edges of the trees smoothed slightly. The forests are still distracting for me, though. I think it might be that the trees go much, much darker at their darkest than the mountains do. The mountains are always roughly a mid-gray to light gray; the trees go from near-black to white (paper color). Bringing up the darks on the trees might also reduce the need for the glow on the labels over the forests.

The map as a whole is exceptionally well done (far better than I have done). But, I thought I'd try to see what a little more blur would do to the forests. The attachment shows the original one that I whined about, the updated version, and a little more blur on the forests. The Redwater Woods area is the original without the antialiasing you did; the Darkenwood area is the new revision, and the Thunderwood area. The blur did smooth out the levels in the forests a little, but I'm not sure it was worth the other effects.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast