Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ticket to ride 10.000$ map competition

The game's fun - my whole family enjoys it. So a valid outlook for me were I to try the contest map, is I'd get a new playing board for myself :-). Seriously - it's enjoyable enough it'd be worth it just for my fun, let alone the (in my case) miniscule chance at ten kilobucks.

It does look like a good game for the whole family.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Adept Facebook Connected timallen's Avatar

Just saw this-

Great game. I own the original and have played two of the others in the series. They all have a very specific Look to them. I havent read all the fine print for the contest, but it doesnt sound like they are actually asking for Artwork. More like they want someone to design a new board (a new timeline, or new country, with perhaps a few new rules), which they would then take and give there own look to. This sounds like the sort of thing a real fan of the game could and probably already has, done.

Personally, I dont know enough about the game Or railways to stand a chance at putting together a map and get it done in less than a month.

There is also no reason why they can't state that the submitted artwork be put into escrow for x time period. In cases where the artwork is not chosen as a prize winner for this contest, if in the future the artwork would like to be used, it can then be negotiated with the sponsor for use in new product X. One the escrow period expires, copyright returns to original artist. This type of thing(well.. something similar) is done all the time in the software industry...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yep, its a question of willingness to respect others.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

That still wouldn't protect them from the assertion that they were using a submission without permission if they happened to release TtR: India in the future. In effect, any time they released a new game, they'd be obligated to go back through the submissions to see if someone had already sent in that idea and either abandon the new product or pay off the submitter.

There has been a history of that kind of suit. There was a prominent fantasy author who read a piece of fan fiction, complimented the author, and mentioned that the events that fanfic author had described were coincidentally a part of the next book. The fan responded by suing for rights to the new book. Seems like it might have been Elizabeth Moon, but I don't recall for certain. In any case, that lead to a lot of authors creating very firm policies on fan fiction, ranging from any derivative works becoming the property of the author, to disallowing the publication of fan fiction entirely, to "do what you like, but I'll never read it." That trend has relaxed recently, with at least one author I am aware of (Jim Butcher) permitting derivative works only if they are CC licensed.

Lawyers tend to be surprising uncreative when drafting agreements of this sort, and again, since they're not working for the fans, they don't concern themselves at all with the fans' rights.

Anyway, I'll just echo what was said earlier: Ticket to Ride is an excellent game. If you haven't played it, I recommend you give it a try. Start with the U.S. version, though. The Europe edition has some extra rules that make it a bit confusing. I haven't played the Marklin edition.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

They thought about the legal side :

9. Release. By participating in this Contest and/or receipt of any prize, participant agrees
    to release and hold harmless Sponsor, Alan R. Moon, and their respective related
    companies, franchisees, and each of their respective officers, directors, employees and
    agents from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the
    Contest or receipt or use of any prize.
    If I understand it correctly, by submitting your work you agree never to sue Days of Wonder or Alan R. Moon if they ever release something that could be related to what you submitted in any way.
    Back to business

Oops, sorry ! I missed a page while reading :$
    Back to business

Guild Applicant

Hello guys. Do you know what kind of map can we design? I mean, can I design something that is already created (a map of US or a Europe map), or I have to make a new one (like Africa or Asia or something imaginary)?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast