Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regional something using Paint.NET... in progress

Guild Member

Wip Regional something using Paint.NET... in progress

Hello everyone!

I'm back into mapping again for the first time since... oh, 2009, I think. My preferred prog, Paint.NET, has updated since then, there are lots of new plugins to enjoy, and I'd forgotten a lot since the last time I was here. So most of my noodling around is about experimenting and re-teaching myself how it's all done. Here's my most recent thing:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map texture experiment.png 
Views:	175 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	33445

If it were you, apart from rivers and lakes, what would you do next?

Cheers!
    Heather

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I would tone down the really bright spots. Otherwise, looks great.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Member

Yeah... I was going for sunlight on snow on clouds with the very top layer of the image. It looks fine without it, but for some reason I like my satellite pictures of nonexistent places to have atmosphere.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks very good. The coastline spatter is awesome
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Guild Member

Many thanks, and aw shucks! Um.. coastline spatter... you mean the color or the irregularity?
    <=noob in disguise

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceHeather View Post
    Many thanks, and aw shucks! Um.. coastline spatter... you mean the color or the irregularity?
    <=noob in disguise
    LoL sorry I tend to just make up my own words.. I meant the irregularity it's just about perfect
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Guild Member

I'm glad you think so, since of course I spent DAYS lovingly hand-crafting each pixel and placing it with care... *cough*
    Threshold. It is teh awesums.

I finally gave in and downloaded Wilbur last night, which I have virtually no idea how to use, just so I can craft some plausible rivers without having to *actually* hand-craft each pixel. Wish me luck with that..

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Make sure you read the Wilbur tuts; they're buried way back in the vault but are invaluable.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Member

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Waterways.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	284.7 KB 
ID:	33468

Welp, I've managed to get my map into Wilbur and kinda sorta add waterways, then bring it back out again. (Yes I know about those curiously straight rivers; I plan to ignore/redraw them depending on whether I bother to keep the landmass on the left.)

So, um, now I'm stuck. I've got a blue layer with rivers, and allll lthe rest of my picture without, and how to merge them without it looking hideous is beyond my awareness and/or my abilities at the moment. Nargle.

I would just trace the rivers on a new layer above your original map (but below the clouds, of course), and then fool with colours and opacity till it blends. They ought to come out just fine if you're zoomed in enough while you trace.
    One of those Alternate Earth History people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast