Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: February 2011 Challenge - Return of the Frogs

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Default February 2011 Challenge - Return of the Frogs

My entry is a tribute to the German sci-fi series http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raumpatrouille.

Depicted is a report about a military operation that was a trap for the alien invasion forces. Everything done in Illustrator so far. I used Google sketchup to create 3D models of the ships and traced and drew them in Illustrator.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Return of the Frogs.png 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	33541  
    Last edited by Sapiento; 02-15-2011 at 12:18 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Great start! Looking forward to seeing the rest

Looks very interesting but when I hear frogs, traps and see space I think Admiral Ackbar.

"IT'S A TRAP"

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

I just read through the entire attack sequence and what went down. Extremely well thought out and nicely drawn Sap. I'm wondering if inverting the entire thing might look better though. So it would be white letters on black negative or something. Anyway, as usual, a top notch entry.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    I just read through the entire attack sequence and what went down. Extremely well thought out and nicely drawn Sap. I'm wondering if inverting the entire thing might look better though. So it would be white letters on black negative or something. Anyway, as usual, a top notch entry.
    Jax, thanks. And the inverting is a very good idea. Here we go.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Return of the Frogs inverted.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	33616  

Weird idea S!

Guild Apprentice

I like the inversion, but I think I would like it more if the ships were "un-inverted."

Quote Originally Posted by pindercarl View Post
    I like the inversion, but I think I would like it more if the ships were "un-inverted."
    I tried it, but this mixture of b/w and w/b looks somewhat odd.

It does look more space-y this way.

If you were thinking about any coloring I'm thinking some green text like the old Monochrome IBM monitors from back in the day might look cool in some of the outer boxes.

I like it but it does seem a little 'blaring' due to the strong contrast...Sort of overwhelms my eyes but maybe it's just me. My thought with the green is it might allow you to focus on the center first and then roll your eyes around to the other parts of the image? I'm not an expert at all that how to control the viewers eye but for me I did have to kind of force myself to focus on the text and read through it before I really appreciated the piece. If everyone thinks I'm nutty feel free to just ignore my insanity
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I was trying to catch the feeling of the old series, so green labels wouldn't feel right in my eyes. That's probably because I only know the b/w version of the series, although the special effects had been filmed in colour. But maybe I find another way to make the text more prominent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast