Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Randomized boundaries, terrain of your choice: a mini-tut for Paint.NET

Guild Member

How'd you do the forests - some kind of Effects > Noise > Grain over your selection? I'm guessing the water was made by duplicating and then blurring the dark segments, yes? I like what you did there, and I'm curious about the forests.

I'm also curious what your starting grid looked like to end up with this result. There's nothing quite as much fun as watching this beautiful shape appear from a bunch of blobby rectangles, you know what I mean?

Guild Member

Since I realized while I was writing the tut that it could be used to create political maps (something I don't often draw), I decided to create one as an example.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crystal tutorial political style.png 
Views:	118 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	33606

The forests were just a simple Effects/Noise/Add Noise with no colour saturation. As for the water, I just duplicated the whole layer, then blurred it and decreased opacity.
    That political maps is looking really nice! How'd you do the borders? Stylize/Outline?

Oh, and here's my original.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HTorig.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	33621  
    One of those Alternate Earth History people.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looking great - and good with a tut where you have sort of predefined the areas

have some rep with my +8 mace of nice repping
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Member

Euio -
    Yep - I used outline selection because for some reason outline opbject wasn't working for me - probably needs to be a single thing on a transparent background. And there's another plugin that has a bunch of text effects where you can write them on curves and whatnot.

I'm curious to see what would've happened on yours if you had just stuck to rectangles in the original - my first impression is that what you have here would have been too detailed. But obviously it worked out pretty well!

Tilt - Many thanks! Yep, the idea was to have something that would make me a map with a little more control over where things end up. The render-clouds options always look good, but they sort of dictate where your land and water will go, and if I have other ideas about what I want, this technique will let me use them.

I'm wondering if there's a way I can use this to build river systems, too. Those outlines just look *right*, you know?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12