Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kingdom of Gorian

Another great map Diamond! I particularly like Heraldic symbols, and the mountains have a nice sketchy flare about them. I'm not quite as fond of the forests, but like Steel General said, if you like them then who cares what others think.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Awesome. I can see the story behind the map as I look at it.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Beautiful map Diamond! Gonna have to disagree with Ascension and SG though, the forests work wonderfully. They're very simple, and you know exactly what they are without even really noticing them. With the mountains being so nice and simple as well, the two really work together and give the whole map a nice cohesive style

This map is awesome! Well done, sir!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Thanks, guys.

@moutarde: Yeah, that's exactly what I was going for, something unobtrusive and simple that worked well with the mountains, rather than using tree icons, which I kind of think can tend to clutter up a map.

I didn't have any problems with the forests. What I really loved was actually the compass. I also liked that there was story right there in the map. This should be great inspiration as you are writing.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Really nice work here. It's easy to read, with clear details and you've managed to keep the text distinct but not intrusive. I'm not totally sold on the 3D-ish crests and icons. They aren't in the same style as the compass - which I think integrates better with the map. Love the colour scheme and the story it tells. Great job.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Thanks rd & Torstan! As for the crests and icons: I agree that the city/town icons are a bit... much. The crests though, I think work okay. I tried doing them in a more flat and muted style, and they just didn't look right.

Nice map. I think that the border with the shields and other items really sets it off!

Blog Entries

Lovely map, Diamond. The colour palette is great.

Although I think the forests don't gel as well as the mountains I thought they worked well enough.

Like Torstan, the only thing I didn't like was the bevelling on the heraldry. Forgetting the forests you have quite a few hand-drawn style elements such as the mountains and the coast and nothing screams digital to me more than a very obvious bevel. They don't gel at all. I'd love to see them redone in a hand-drawn way. But that's just me.

Again though, wonderful map.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12