Thread: WIP : Secret Den of the Cult of the Damned

Default WIP : Secret Den of the Cult of the Damned

Trying my hand at an ISO view of a dungeon. Basic principal is entrance from a sewer system into a hideout for a cult composing of roughly ten to twelve residence members and another half a dozen to dozen operatives within the city above. I drew this layout today in GIMP and decorated it with the title and legend already. Still new to an isometric view let me know if theres anything that can be modified to increase visibility/legibility and produce better results after completion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Secret Den of the Cult of the Damned.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	33625  
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

That's cool geamon. The only thing I would try is making it so you can see all the flooring. Later add the doors that block the floors if you want. I'm not sure why I think that's a better way to go except that in other top down maps I have done I didn't and had to go back later and draw in the flooring because a doorway needed to be open. It might not really matter in this case but it might be worth thinking about. (I think I'm going at it from a VTT viewpoint).

Looking forward to where you go with it.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I'm not look at this as a VTT more as an overall look at the dungeon with accompanying encounter maps with an adventure, so hidden tiles are excusable. I'm thinking of fading out the edges of wall cut aways to enhance the look. Never added texture or color to something like this so there will be a lot of experimenting.
    Cheers, Julien

All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks great geamon, love the look - the only thing that drew my eye were the "floor" behind the corridor in front - I had to figure out what that was.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Your referring to the curved hallway? Ya I'm trying to test things out with the line placement to make it more legible. Might have to change it up and make it square, just wanted to add some diversity especially in front where the eye would wander often.
    Cheers, Julien

So after finishing with sewers as far as line work is concerned I'm struggling with adding color and texture, especially in brick areas since it gets too congested. Any suggestions?

Views:	191 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	33660  
    Cheers, Julien

Blog Entries

what about just using color and forgetting the texture - the bricks themselves give a sort of texture anyway
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Really Nice work so far . Very Clean .Great perspective. I did a quick overlay on parts. I think as far as textures and coloring go Subtle will be the way to go. IMHO. Be a shame to cover that nice Linework up. Just a little icing on the cake perhaps. Waiting to see how this progresses !!
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

Gonna use this map as a means of break from other stuff. Here's another update.

Views:	175 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	33830  
    Cheers, Julien

Blog Entries

always nice with a break... the symbols look a little blurry in comparison to the sharp lines of everything else
    regs tilt