Thread: PS CS2 to CS5 - Are there compatibility issues?

Guild Novice

Default PS CS2 to CS5 - Are there compatibility issues?

Hi all,

I've been using Photoshop CS2 for quite a while, and am just about to get the key to install my copy of CS5. This installation is going to be on my new laptop (ie - a completely fresh installtion rather than an upgrade). I was wondering if anyone has had any compatibility issues with PSD files going from much earlier versions of Photoshop to newer versions?

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't have PS5, but PS3 - but started with photoshop 2 or 3.... and everytime they have upgraded the new photoshop has always been fully compatible with old files - in addition I remember also using new files in an old photoshop which actually also worked - only stuff that was native to the new photoshop was removed (such as layer effects when they first came out ) ... so I believe you're safe
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

As Tilt said, compatibility should be just fine. The only issue I ever remember was trying to open something like a CS file in an older version like 7 but opening a 7 file in CS was fine.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

My only compatibility issue on my new system was having forgotten which fonts I'd previously installed. I keep opening old files to discover I have to track down the font I'd originally used. I really wish adobe had an option to embed font-files in their saved documents (in PS, Illustrator, and Indesign...I get hit in all of them).

Old to new is no problem. New to old you have to check the maximize compatability option when you save or set it to do automatically it in preferences. I am not sure how much you will still lose.??? Probably depends on how far remove the opening version is . The font issue is that PS uses whatever is installed in the system font folder. I back up all my favorite tools ( fonts , pattern, brushes,Etc) to a specific folder on a secondary drive makes it easier to reload or reinstall . In case of drive crash or OS needing reinstalled.
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"