Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Play Bastion Game Map

Default Play Bastion Game Map

I've been working on this one for about two weeks, but I only get a couple hours a day so it's not moving too rapidly.
    The map is for an upcoming online game which more info can be found here: playbastion.com

I don't do a lot of overland mapping, but I have several projects which will benefit from getting better at doing it.
    One of the things I constantly struggle with is the slightly iso look on a flat land mass.
    I drew some inspiration from Torstans overland maps which are very nice.

Below are the WIP images, I spend most of the time on the mountains, even done loosely it's very time consuming.
    Comments are welcome
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BastionMapWIP1.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	158.3 KB 
ID:	33634   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BastionMapWIP2.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	33635   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BastionMapWIP3.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	33636   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BastionMapWIP4.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	33637  

That's looking great so far. I really like the snowy mountains to the north.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by DevinNight View Post
    Below are the WIP images, I spend most of the time on the mountains, even done loosely it's very time consuming.
    Comments are welcome
    I agree-

For me, hand drawn mountains are the most time consuming part of any overland map.

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Coming along really nicely. I know mountains take a while, but with that amount of practice you get better fast It looks wonderful - love the colour palette you've gone with.

The mountains are worth the effort though, they really make your map sing. Is it just me or do symbol maps have a natural 'scale' to them which the size of the symbols compared to landmass suggest?

Thanks guys. And yeah, the scale as determined by the symbols, may be problematic. I think the map covers a much greater area than what the mountains and forests would suggest.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The only thing more time-consuming than hand-drawn (and shaded) ISO mtns are maps with thousands of labels. It takes me like a week just to do mtns, ugh. For what it worth, yours look pretty good so now that you've got the hard part done the rest goes pretty fast and it becomes enjoyable again.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Here is the final, or almost final work.
    The client has their own font, so the labels will change a bit.

Name:	BastionMapFinal.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	33661  

Decided that it needed to be shown a bit larger.

Name:	BastionMapF.jpg 
Views:	4921 
Size:	373.0 KB 
ID:	33662  

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks beautiful Devin, love the colors, the city labels are a little hard to read, but great mountains you've made - worth every hour ... have some rep for this
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast