Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *** February/March Lite Challenge - Open to Art ***

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Default *** February/March Lite Challenge - Open to Art ***

This month's lite challenge is to find an interesting part of the Earth in Open Streetmap (http://www.openstreetmap.org/), take a screenshot of it, and then use that as the base for an artistic map of your choice. There are no restrictions on style or scale, but it needs to have that base.

Some example ideas: Take a screenshot of your home town/region/country and map an alternate history (or future). Take a screenshot of a place that you've never been and map a tourist brochure for it (tourist attractions may be real or made up from whole cloth). Take a screenshot of an interesting area and map it as if it were on a parallel fantasy world with completely different culture, towns, nations, etc.

Each entry should be a new thread in this forum, titled "February/March Lite Challenge Entry: <Map Title>".

Each reply in the thread containing a WIP image should end with the following tag:
    ### Latest WIP ###

This challenge will end on the Ides of March (or March 15).

Good luck, looking forward to seeing the entries!

*Note: Open Streetmap has a CC_BY_SA license, so your map must attribute OpenStreetMap and be CC-licensed.

Is this the first challenge that has required a specific license to enter?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    Is this the first challenge that has required a specific license to enter?
    Probably, but I had to put it in as an afterthought after I checked out open streetmap more. Any derivative work has to be CC

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Since OpenStreetMap and googlmaps and all those other maps have the same streets in them I guess you can use whichever you want - so if you can find one without CC feel free. I remember back in the advertising agency I worked in many years ago we looked at a map and hand drew our own and thus avoided having to licens the map. However that was before computers were used for graphics *lol*
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Maybe I'm confused and need some clarification but can it be historical or does it have to be current day? Do you also need to be able to see the base map used? I.E can the street configuration of a city been completely different or still has to be similar.
    Last edited by geamon; 02-19-2011 at 11:22 PM.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by geamon View Post
    Maybe I'm confused and need some clarification but can it be historical or does it have to be current day? Do you also need to be able to see the base map used? I.E can the street configuration of a city been completely different or still has to be similar.
    Yeah, I kinda wondered that too. I mean, if the base map taken from Open Streetmap has to be visible somehow then I'm sorry, but that's gonna be one ugly map. And if it's not visible, then I guess I'm missing the point of using it in the first place. I'm not trying to sound mean, honest. I'm just confused.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The street map has to be used as base - so you can't change the layout of the streets (although if it fits the story a road could have been sucked down a sinkhole) - you don't have to be able to see the original map, the challenge is to artify/mappify/whateverify the streets to make that winning map
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Turn your streets into mag levs or Venitian canals...or dungeon hallways. Pick a base and show that pic in your first post then do whatever you need to do to fit whatever genre or style you want.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

this sounds great. Can't wait to see what entries we get!

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have to say that for the first time I'm struggling with this a bit. I'm having a hard time coming up with a good usable base map. Oh well I'll keep trying
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast