Thread: A Relief Map of a Fantasy World

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default A Relief Map of a Fantasy World

As usual, I got frustrated with my last map, where nothing seemed to be turning out, and due to the method was taking a really long time, especially when I had to redo something big. So it's been shelved, but in the 'I'm returning for you in the summer' folder. However, while playing with that map, I tested out a random idea for creating a quick, nicely detailed map in a different style. Minimal frustration, decent results. So I'm doing it with a map created for that purpose.

First of all, I had to create a base map. I like to use this handy online fractal map generator I have had bookmarked for years:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map Fractal Gen Base.jpg 
Views:	4570 
Size:	196.0 KB 
ID:	33651

Since the elevation here was not terribly useful because my continent is not one giant hill, I had to colour all the land black, and all the water white. Now, since the map was very boxy and had rogue pixels everywhere, it had to be fixed to get a nice shape. I like to do this by creating a new layer and drawing over the map in plain bright red, going over the outlines. It takes less time than it would to go around with a black and white pencil and fill in or erase pixels to clean up the coastlines and polar regions. I'm still moving islands, creating new ones, eliminating 'ghosts' left behind by erased islands, and randomifyizing the coastlines.

Name:	Map Black and White Base.jpg 
Views:	4796 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	33652

Once that was done (mostly, still needs work), I planned out the landforms and climates based on the shape and location of the continents, using Mother Earth as a reference. As a fantasy world, it doesn't have to be plausible, it merely has to appear plausible (unless one adds gods and magic, then no one can argue).

Name:	Map Planning Base.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	155.0 KB 
ID:	33653

But this is just the beginning. Very rough. Once the map has been prepared and processed it will be quite different.

Its 10:30 pm and I've spent a long time cleaning up the map, so it's time for a break. But I have a long weekend and little work to do, so I can actually finish some good stuff tomorrow.
    Last edited by LS-Jebus; 02-18-2011 at 10:36 PM.
    "I AM THE LAW!"
    - Flaming Fist Mercenary

My Art / Photos / Maps