Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: January 2008 Entry: a thousand welcomes

Wip January 2008 Entry: a thousand welcomes

Let's see if I can get this month's challenge done in four days - I've got lots to do this month, so I can't dedicate to a big project like most of my challenge entries (all my own fault, of course!)

In the grand city of Calishem of the Caliphate of Umir, the Merchant Prince Syed Hussain Aidid has secured a ten year contractural agreement with the Turgan Horde in the delivery of ten dragon eggs, the rarest commidity of the east. This agreement comes just days away from his birthday, so he is celebrating this mercantile victory with a party spectacular - effendi and infidel alike, visiting lords, great merchant houses and dignitaries throughout the realms.

WIP - the cover of the folded invitation, a purple ribbon holds it together pinned with a mountain marigold and Sutyrean Butterfly - both rare and exotic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aidid.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	209.5 KB 
ID:	2109  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 01-09-2008 at 01:10 AM. Reason: spelling
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Praise

Very well thought out entry! I love the arabian theme, which in these days of terrorism and all that, some may consider it not politically correct...(some being most of the rednecks in northwest florida/lower alabama where I live. I've always been a fan of arabian themed artwork and culture, ever since visiting saudi arabia twice. Looking forward to seeing how the theme carries over to the map/directions.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

i like the theme as well, florida rednecks be damned. looks like i've got my work cut out for me this time...

darnit gameprinter! why do you have to be better than me all the time?

Praise

That's certainly impressive. It almost makes me shy out of this month's challenge, for while I do love to compete and to contribute, I like winning every once in a while even more.

And I don't see how I could possibly stand up to /this/.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

EVERYONE should compete...not to win, but to learn and expand!
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Baziron - Take it from someone who's only been a member here for about six weeks and took part in the December challenge.

It's always better to jump in swinging than to hold back.

Okay, I'll try. I think I'll leave an impression - at the worst, six feet deep :-D

Now all I need is to draw the challenge into an area I'm proficient with, then go for it. The only idea I don't like is that it's supposed to be the wealthiest merchant around... but maybe that could be made less of a problem by defining which exact trade sector... hmm.... I'll work something out. I hope I have some material by Saturday, until then!

Wip Page 2 and 3 - completes the challenge!

OK, been busy all week. Couldn't get back to the challenge until last night and finished it up today.

Page Two is a letter to the invited guest. (notice map underneath)

Page Three is the map directions to Aidid Gardens from Al-Khadif Mosque.

Notice the compass rose - instead of north, south, east, west in 800 AD there were no such compass directions, instead Winds or gods of the winds were names for compass directions. Also know that the muslim compass pointed to east at the top of the map, so Levent is east.

This completes my entry for the January Challenge!

Completed WIP:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	invite-letter.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	225.9 KB 
ID:	2110   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	invite-map.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	280.2 KB 
ID:	2111  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 01-11-2008 at 05:58 PM. Reason: compass rose notes...
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast