Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Map.

Guild Novice

Wip First Map.

Okay, so... this what I came up with after mucking around with CC3 for two or three hours yesterday. I decided to forgo the manual's tutorial, because I did not at all like the terrain backgrounds. Simple and stylized seemed to feel a bit better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Practice.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	33668

C'mon, guildies, show me what criticism you've got!
    Last edited by Shadowgher; 02-19-2011 at 11:17 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

nice start - have some rep for your first upload
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Novice

Thank you, thank you, kind sir. ;D

Is there anything that I can improve on?

Personally, I thought the placement of the lake was a bit off, but I can't figure out how to delete anything short of the 'undo' command.
    Last edited by Shadowgher; 02-19-2011 at 05:37 PM.

very cool map for a start. My only complaint is the stark white of the background showing through. For me, it's just too much. Perhaps a splash of color.... Personally, I would take this base map into GIMP, add a parchment underneath it and add a tiny bit of muted colors to forest/mountains. Heck, even a parchment texture might be enough, <shrug> .... of course, you might be able to do this easily in CC, I just don't know it well enough and of course, thats just my opinion....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nice Start. I'd agree with jfraizerjr about some color especially in the lake. Also the lakes borders are very regular you might want to think about making then a bit more random
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm not a CC3 user, or fan, but this looks pretty decent. The layout looks plausible, and most important, it looks kind of fun actually. The egg lake looks out of place but since I know nothing about the program I can't really tell you how to fix it. All you need is some labels, a scale bar so that we can tell what sort of distances we're looking at, some rivers, and a compass so that we know where north is. All in all, pretty good, man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

Alrighty, folks. This is what I've gotten from suggestions and a tid bit of further modification. I'm having problems using GIMP (photo manipulation illiterate) and making text stand out. I fixed the egg lake, added two rivers and one label (because it's the only one I could get to be visible short of adding an annoying glow effect around the text.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Practice.JPG 
Views:	204 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	33690

Also, thanks for all the compliments guys. You're going to make me blush.
    Last edited by Shadowgher; 02-20-2011 at 11:12 AM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

One alternative to the outer glow would be (in photoshop, don't know if it works the same in GIMP) to Select your text, then Modify-->Expand 2 or 3 pixels, then delete the terrain underneath it. Then you're left with legible text without unduly messing up everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    One alternative to the outer glow would be (in photoshop, don't know if it works the same in GIMP) to Select your text, then Modify-->Expand 2 or 3 pixels, then delete the terrain underneath it. Then you're left with legible text without unduly messing up everything else.
    I would suggest a layer mask, rather than deleting though. That way if you need or want to move the text afterwards, you still have your terrain hidden away instead of lost forever

I really like this! I'm glad you decided to keep it in black and white. My suggestion would be to break up the forest texture of the two big forests a bit (you can see the tiling, just), have some little clearings which will make the tiling less obvious and the forest less dominating.Considering this is your first CC3 work, I have to say, I'm very impressed. You have a very good eye for what works (most people (like me) on their first time go crazy and throw in every symbol they can find)....or maybe it was just me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast