Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ink Experiment - Unnamed

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Thanks guys! About to add the paint to the next experiment, wish me luck

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That's very cool. I do like going analog every now and again, it's a great discipline to help with committing to decisions.

On the coastline the variations are very regular. Try to add in a little more randomness in the shapes you use. Otherwise this is looking great. Looks like you've got a great mountain style coming along. I am also extremely envious of your clean handwriting!

Hah! Paint that blob with some red and create some splatter and it's a blood stain. Nothing better than a hand out covered with blood splatter...gets everyone worked up!

Looking great though. I've been working so hard to do things digitally I forget I can go do things the old fashioned way. I might have to do some more of that myself. I'm digging your experiments lately though.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

For what it's worth (and this blot might be a bit for this particular method) when I used to work with ink on paper, I would be using the heaviest watercolour paper I could find (80 pound?) so when i made errors, i would actually attack it with an exacto knife and peel off the paper until i got down to where there was no ink.

Of course, it was usually small bits, so it didn't stand out.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

@Torstan: Thanks for the feedback! The coastlines are indeed horrible; it was more of a doodle than really trying. I'm working on the next one and taking a bit more care with the land shape and coastline this time

@Jaxilon: Thanks for the encouragement on the experiments. Felt like I was in a rut, it was time to try some new things

@CM: Thanks for the tip! My current experiment is on 140lb watercolor paper, so I will definitely keep that in mind. I have an exacto knife around here somewhere ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12