Thread: FTPro - Random World Mapping for Fun and (no) Profit

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip FTPro - Random World Mapping for Fun and (no) Profit

I was working on a random world map and came up with a couple new (for me) methods, so I thought I'd start a new world from scratch using them and document the steps here in case they might come in useful for someone.

First step was picking the base world. I used the Voronoi Ridged Multifractal, a personal preference of mine because it does a better job of not putting the mountain ranges smack in the center of the continents. Once I found a world I liked, I started tweaking and playing with the parameters for the fractal function. Small, incremental changes are the best way to do that, as larger ones tend to result in a completely different-looking world.

Actually, I lied. The first step was naming the world, as I had to create a folder to store all the files in. Welcome to the world of Gryphii.

Here is the basic world map of Gryphii, with no modifications except a non-standard "Earth-like" color scheme:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gryphii-0.jpg 
Views:	1262 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	33698

From here we can see a few obvious things that need fixing. Any piece of land below sea level is shown underwater, so we can see several sections of land that need to be filled in. Also, the landmasses on the right connect in ways I don't find very plausible.

I will post up each step I take in trying to finish off this world. Feel free to post feedback or questions at any time.
    Last edited by Master TMO; 02-21-2011 at 09:32 AM.
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.