Thread: Generica

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Default Generica

I couldn't come up with an idea for a trap map so I did this instead just to be doing something. It's a lot of something for just doing something but it's something at least - gives me something to do while I wait for next month's challenge. My goal was to just keep in practice and the map evolved and evolved and suddenly I had 6 variations (I'll put the others in the next post). I didn't want to get bogged down in a world map that I'm planning based on the various world's religions and mythologies 'cuz that will take some time to do properly and at poster size. I wanted to "go further" with my journey of terrain painting, more like height map painting. Basically, just a bunch of difference clouds that I then painted over to get something that could be used in a 3d viewer. Pretty standard stuff, not really new or anything, but I've been messing around with terrain painting for 5 years now so I wanted to do something better. I probably should have taken this into Wilbur to really refine the erosion but I'm not very smart so I always mess it up. Sure, the tuts for it are easy enough to understand and follow but I don't like how the rivers come out (I get very long straight rivers when painting a height map, even with Wilbur's noise, and the deltas are totally screwed). So, knowing that I mess it up, I decided to just do it my way in Photoshop and do as good as I could. The hardest parts were, of course, rivers, labels, then making the labels readable - didn't totally succeed on that last part but I sit close to my monitor so I can read them just fine. Anyway, it's sort of my atlas style "kicked up a notch". Hope you dig it. I call it finished but I'm posting it here to catch anything that I might have missed or just something that needs a bit more attention.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Generica.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	3.37 MB 
ID:	33744  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps