Thread: [WIP] Map of the Exile (vectorial)

Guild Member

Wip [WIP] Map of the Exile (vectorial)

When I wrote this I thought I wouldn't work more at it, but then came RobA and his wonderful tutorial for quick mountains in Inkscape and changed everything. All hail RobA!

I traced the countours of the map and drew a few mountains "just for fun". Then I went ahead and added rivers and a helluva names. That's how it is now: quite simple, but good as basis for RPGing. It's all made with Inkscape.

The only planned improvements are a few more names (for mountain chains, for example) and maybe some reorganization of what's there now. It's always possible that I find a new thing to play with and make further changes, but they're not on the roadmap right now. I also might hurl it into the Gimp to see if I can make it a bit prettier, but don't bet on it just yet.

Critique and suggestions very welcome. Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inkscape-export.png 
Views:	246 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	33756

Guild Member

Wip Map of the Exile, now in color!

I've been overwhelmed by your replies to my previous post, and I thought I should try again ;-)

I've been working a bit more on this. I found bartmoss' map of a much neglected continent and liked the colors of the final result. I thought that I could work something alike into the map, and though I didn't achieve anything as pretty as bartmoss', there was a big improvement. Here's the result:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inkscape-export-color-100dpi.png 
Views:	588 
Size:	617.1 KB 
ID:	33808

Now, as usual, my problem has a name: mountains. I don't know how to color them to make them stand out properly. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Honestly, I think those mountains look just excellent as-is, with that slight brown color. If you add any more to 'em, they're going to overwhelm everything else.

Oh btw, awesome map. Repped.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I was waiting until more came along but...if you're going to add a lot of detail those big labels are going to get in the way. You might want to make them smaller but space them out with kerning so that they cover the same area.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I was waiting until more came along but...if you're going to add a lot of detail those big labels are going to get in the way. You might want to make them smaller but space them out with kerning so that they cover the same area.
    Great idea, I was somewhat worried about that too. Thanks!