Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: February/March Lite Challenge Entry: The World of Htrea

Default February/March Lite Challenge Entry: The World of Htrea

So I've finally came up with a concept and will be my first attempt at a world or planet sized map. Concept is doing the invert of current planet Earth where all the oceans are now land masses and the lands are seas. Additional all oceanic trenches will become mountain ranges and vice versa. This would be a very hot climate based world, hence the equator and tropics primarily desert wasteland and the arctic zones being temperate. Time frame I am looking at heavily based colonial (North/South extremes) and nomadic civilizations (Center). Unsure if I'm over stepping my skill level but we shall see what I can pull off. Hope you enjoy the trip.

Edit: Here's the screenshot I gathered from Open Streetmap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The World of Threa2.jpg 
Views:	2577 
Size:	669.9 KB 
ID:	33769  
    Last edited by geamon; 02-21-2011 at 06:53 PM.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Here's my base map I will be working with after editing out the labels. Wish me luck!!

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	The World of Threa.jpg 
Views:	573 
Size:	634.0 KB 
ID:	33768  
    Cheers, Julien

All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Yay for our first entry! Knock em dead, geamon

I've been working on a base texture and colors. Because this map is untraditional in the water-land ratio or my eyes are used to looking at our planet in its normal form my eyes always make the seas stand out over the land. Any suggestions on how to solve this or any color corrections?

Edit: Had issues uploading.

Name:	The World of Threa.jpg 
Views:	2514 
Size:	3.76 MB 
ID:	33778  
    Last edited by geamon; 02-22-2011 at 12:13 AM.
    Cheers, Julien

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I think it may be just because the land's white. Try coloring it green, even if it's just temporary; that should put the land over the sea where it belongs.

Edit: Aha! Now I see your colors. Looks a little dark, but that's just style. I think once you have some mountains done that might do the trick. I never really feel the land until I give it some bones.
    Last edited by Gidde; 02-22-2011 at 12:16 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great concpet
    I think that land features will help, and I'd probably lighten the sea a little so it doesn't "fight" with the land for attention, especially since all of us are used to seing those shapes as land.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

After working with it for a while this is really starting to shape up. Solved all my issues and now am gonna work on mountain ranges. Not sure if I'm gonna add rivers due to scale.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	The World of Htrea.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	4.33 MB 
ID:	33781  
    Cheers, Julien

Looking good man
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

What style of mountains work best with a satellite/atlas style like I've got so far, height map using bump maps etc or artistic hand drawn? Struggling on deciding whats best.
    Cheers, Julien

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I hate to say it 'cuz it's non-committal but...what works best is whatever you make work. For me, I wouldn't use hand-drawn or iso or whatever because of the texture and colors being so dominant. If you turned those way down so that they are just faint colors (more like a grungy paper) then you could use hand-drawn. As is, I'd use a shaded relief which is something less than a real height map...think of Pasis style mtns as opposed to me style mtns.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast