Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: February/March Lite Challenge Entry : The HIVE

Default February/March Lite Challenge Entry : The HIVE

Attachment 33776Name:  cc-by-sa.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  6.0 KB

This my base image. I'll be converting it into a Quatta Hive Map. Wish me Luck !!

In the NW area of the Tarsus region on the continent of Alteira lies the desert called Bakura. This desert is home to several Nomadic tribes of humans under the collective name of The Ta’Cottai. These fierce and reclusive tribes have ruled over this sandy bit of hell for centuries. There are many typical dangers here but the one feared by all dwellers here and in the surrounding regions is the ^^^^^^^^^^. It translates into “The Scourge” In all tongues.
    The scourge are semi- intelligent ants of tremendous size . They live in underground “hives” such as are built by standard termites. The queens lay their eggs in broods which can lay dormant for decades .When they do finally hatch, they set forth like army ants leaving utter destruction in their path. The Ta’Cottai mostly avoid them when the broods are hatching. Destroying hives during dormant times and roving individuals at every opportunity. It is a right of passage to hunt and take antennae as trophy.
    There once was among the Ta’Cottai a tribe who forsook all reason and honor to ally themselves with the Grey Scourge . This tribe is now “Quata” . This translates roughly into “The Shunned” The meaning is much deeper than that to Ta’Cottai. To them the Quatta not only don’t exist but never did. They are not hunted ,killed ,spoken to or even noticed. They are not worthy of being seen, thought about or remembered. If self defense requires they are squashed like a biting fly and left un-noticed where they fell.

The Quatta are however a very powerful tribe . Their alliance with the Scourge has allowed both species to flourish and their numbers to grow. The Quatta live in the hives and have ample food and above all water. Lots of water. Freed of the constant struggle to find food and water they have developed advanced forging and weapon making skills .A Scourge mounted cavalry unit is nearly unrivaled throughout the world and untouchable on the sands.
    Their culture has advanced in other more subtle ways. Unlike their brethren they have developed to be very successful traders through the neighboring regions. They have become a powerful if hidden political power in most the surrounding courts.
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Sounds really interesting, looking forward to see where you take it

Almost had to withdraw from this contest. My backup drive with ALL my TOOLS Took a dump. I don't Know if I'll be able to recover it ???

Wish Me Luck!! Any ways as fate would have it my WIP Was on the desktop so I'm still in it but with limited resources. I thought of trying a perspective map of the hive but due to limited time I am shooting for a multi-level instead. Here is the surface so far. Rock and sand as far as the eyes can see!! Broken only by a deserted / destroyed trader camp on the bluff, a disappearing trade route and of course the two exhaust chimneys of the HIVE!
    ### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	surface.jpg 
Views:	537 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	33885

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Oh no! Good luck recovering your stuff!

And your texturing looks really cool

Yeah, I hope your recovery goes well. I'm always stressed out during those things.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I dig the volcano.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

WoW Do I Have A Headache. With bevel/emboss I sometimes have a REAL problem with looking away and it switches from one state to another. Any Ways The Chambers are supposed to be recessed. For me sometimes they are. sometimes they aren't. If this happens to everyone else let me know. I warned you in my introduction my methods were well perhaps insane is too strong a word. Let's use Bizzarre Shall we ?? Any ways here is the overall subterranean map. Before I cut it into it's respective levels.### LATEST WIP ### Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The HIVESTAGE 2.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	870.7 KB 
ID:	33934

Sorry No Volcanoes today! Scourge mounds / Hives Are designed like real life Termite mounds. The upper cone has a main chimney and several secondaries . It is also extremely porous. It acts as a cooling tower and as ventilation of toxic respiratory gases.

Here I s A Grey Scourge Scout With Saddle, Hive marking And antennae paint. Just for fun. Anything to avoid the next step !! Layer Separation I've got to be Brain Damaged !!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grey Scourge Scout.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	473.3 KB 
ID:	33937

ME Again. I just looked at the subject of last months Lite contest. MAN!!! I am a dime short and a day late again.

Default Design direction choice ??

I Need Some Advice !! Though neither Colour schemes are realistic , which looks better ?? Farm one or Farm Two ?? C&C Appreciated !

Attachment 33960 Attachment 33961

AS Per Request Which is better light or darker ??
    Last edited by lostatsea; 02-27-2011 at 04:42 PM. Reason: spacing

It doesn't have to be 'realistic', it has to fit in general. Please post larger pics to give advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast