Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] New Continent Map

Guild Member

Map

Hi All - ok ive continued with my experiment. Ive added some borders and some towns after taking a look at other tutorials in the forums. Can someone kindly tell me how i get all the text onto one layer. Each time i click the text tool its starts a new layer.

As always CC is always welcome - im using the map for a D&D campaign setting im working on and id like to make it have the old school feel - do the names feel right etc ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Borders.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	815.0 KB 
ID:	33901  

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

If you want all your text on one layer (and I wouldn't do that until you're SURE those are the names you want, and the appearance you want), move all your text layers on the menu box so they're in one group, with no other layers in between 'em. Left click on the top-most text layer, then shift + left click the bottom-most text layer. All the text layers should now be highlighted. Then go to Layer --> Merge Layers. Boom! Done.

As for the map itself: I like the physical terrain and the river layout. The text and borders... not so much. To me, the text seems overwhelmingly dark against the terrain. Maybe go with a lighter color - a brown or dark sepia or something? The borders seem harsh and pixellated. Instead of using a solid line, why not make it a dotted or dashed one? As Troedel said, you can adjust the spacing on the brush you're using. On the brushes palette, click on Brush Tip Shape, then look for the Spacing slider at the bottom. You can play around with it to get the spacing exactly how you want it.

Guild Member

Hi Diamond - thanks for the reply and the advice its much appreciated. I shall go and try it out and then I will re-post the map.

Guild Member

OK ive taken on board comments re borders and labels. Ive also changed some of the names to make them a little more appealing (to myself).

Next step is to start labelling the capitals and the large cities shown as dots on the map.

As always CC is much wanted and appreciated.

Name:	Revised Labelled.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	823.3 KB 
ID:	33917  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Looking good! You might want to lower the opacity on the borders a bit; they're a little overwhelming. Other than that, I'm really liking the way this is turning out!

Guild Member

Thanks Gidde for the advice. Ive lowered the opacity and your right it does look better. Once ive played around with names for the cities and towns im going to start looking at borders etc.

Guild Member

OK last post for the day. All advice taken on board and applied ! Ive also added names to the smaller towns and cities now as well. Next job is to add a map border etc which should be fun as ive never done that before using PS !

As always CC greatfully received.

Name:	Named.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	831.8 KB 
ID:	33927  

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Those borders look excellent, and I personally like the nation names appearance much better now; seems more integrated with the rest of the map.

But that red text for your city names... eurrgh. Very hard to read, especially in places where there are forests. I know there's a couple of Red Text Haters on this site , and I'm starting to believe they're right; red is extremely hard (at least for me) to use in map text and get looking good. You might try a slight outer glow on 'em and see if that makes 'em pop a little better, if your heart is set on keeping the red. Otherwise, I'd change color.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very Nice. I'd agree with Diamond about the city text. Maybe try a black outer glow or stroke
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Guild Member

Does this look better ?

Name:	4ed Campaign Mapv2.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	835.0 KB 
ID:	33943  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast