Thread: A question on structure size

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default A question on structure size

Okay this is a question that has really being bugging me, we've all seen them, those MASSIVE fortresses and palaces that are just so epic that they scream high fantasy. However, I can't look at them without questioning would they even be able to stand up in real life, and as my understanding of physics is somewhat limited I through the question over to the learned members of the guild. Would it be possible to build structures like this that bound by the laws of real world physics?

I ask because I want to have some sort of massive, ornate and iconic structure at the heart of the Dal capital and I won't know what my size limits would be; if it helps the Dal mainly use brick and heavy wooden beams in construction with large stone blocks being used as foundations or in defensive structures. I provided some examples below that I have found while wandering around the net. I remember it being mentioned somewhere that structures made of stone are limited in how big they can be become because the stone would begin to sink, is there a way around this? I suppose a simple solution be to simply carve it out of a mountain, like Tolkien's Minas Tirath, as the mountain itself would act as a solid foundation but what if I wanted to build from the ground up?

It's not a major question, just a question I would greatly appreciate some insight on. Please remove this thread if it's innappropriate for this forum.

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dark_and_day_commission_by_gamefan84.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	415.9 KB 
ID:	33844   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HOMM5_PC_haven_town_wide_016_1600.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	33840   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Akka.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	211.5 KB 
ID:	33841   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Asgard.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	175.3 KB 
ID:	33842   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guardia_Fortress_by_Demonplay.jpg 
Views:	822 
Size:	190.8 KB 
ID:	33843  

People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...