Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Tutorial on how to create seamless textures out of anything

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Tutorial [Award Winner] Tutorial on how to create seamless textures out of anything

I am going to post my tried and trusted way of creating seamless textures out of any photo that has some basic properties in PSP but I would think any significant paint package should be fine.

EDIT############################################## #################################################
    ##### See lower down this tutorial for a script to automate all of this process including the image flattening to give a uniform brightness ######
    ################################################## ################################################

The basic property is that the pattern on the image has an interesting texture that has basically uniform brightness across it. Now I have a tool to force images to become steady brightness so I can do any image but without this you will have to find some photo that matches this property and that is not a significant limitation.

So here is a photo I took in a park. I am notorious for taking photos of interesting plants in garden centers ! A great free resource if you ask me !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Start.png 
Views:	1724 
Size:	824.1 KB 
ID:	2117  
    Last edited by Redrobes; 01-17-2008 at 08:32 PM.

Blog Entries

Tutorial

Stage 1. Chop out the texture bit and try to ensure that the edges are roughly the same brightness.

Name:	Pic_10.png 
Views:	351 
Size:	506.6 KB 
ID:	2118  

Blog Entries

Tutorial

Stage 2. Resample to a convenient size like 1024x1024. Then create a new image double size e.g. 2048x2048 and paste in the first into 4 quadrants of the second ensuring that its exactly in the corners and lined up.

Name:	Pic_20.png 
Views:	533 
Size:	306.9 KB 
ID:	2119  

Blog Entries

Stage 3. Keep the original cut one handy and get out the freehand selection tool or it might be called the lasso tool. In PSP you need to set the options of this to make the freehand selection feather something quite large like 80 or 100 or about 10 - 20% of the size of the image.

Now cut a shape out of the first original cut image with this kind of pattern, copy that and paste it over the vertical joins of the quadrant image such that the top dumbell end is one quarter way down the vertical join so that the bottom of the dumbell is at the three quarter way down the vertical join. You may need more than one paste to cover the vertical seam.

Like this :-

Name:	CutShape2.png 
Views:	327 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	2123   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic_30.png 
Views:	267 
Size:	409.4 KB 
ID:	2124  

Blog Entries

Stage 4. Repeat using a new selection in the horizontal direction to cover the horizontal seam.

Name:	CutShape.png 
Views:	243 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	2125   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic_40.png 
Views:	403 
Size:	449.9 KB 
ID:	2126  

Blog Entries

Stage 5. Cut out the middle 1024x1024 (or the original size of image). The easiest way to do this is to use the Image/Canvas Size and set it to 1024x1024 and ask it to center it with the two check boxes.

Name:	Pic_50.png 
Views:	249 
Size:	484.9 KB 
ID:	2127  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I dub the newly repped *bonk*

You've done it again oh master of the GIMP!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Cool ! I reckon the new RR filter is better than theirs ! In name and result

Well done Rob - I will really have to have another go at Gimp one day. I just don't use normal image editors as much as I used to.

As epr the request in the other thread I have updated the script attached in post#27 to have an option to tile only horizontally and vertically.

It also now exposes the "copy the center and paste it" option available as a parameter so it can be turned off.

If tiling only horizontally or vertically, it would be best to set the flatten parameter quite low to prevent colour bleeding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast