Thread: Vector (My new Style)

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected NathanC's Avatar

Map Vector (My new Style)

Hello all.

It's been a rather long time since I've posted but I wanted to share up some of my new work.

I've decided that I wanted to do some a bit more stylized I haven't really seen anyone doing work in cartoon style vectors.

I'm still getting used to working in it, but these are some first attempts. I'd appreciate any constructive criticism.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forest Battle Map_2.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	3.43 MB 
ID:	122906

Name:	Road_Map_Winter.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	3.11 MB 
ID:	122907

Name:	Road Battle Map.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	122908

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

They look really good to me. Two small things to possibly suggest though. On the first map with the forest and stump, the entire map seems to be top-down but the stumps looks like a more side-on view. This slightly confused me for a moment. I understand that depicting top-down stumps though would not be easy! Also, on the other forest map, the two lines down the road (which I assume are wagon tracks? if not disregard this one!) look too straight and rigid, particularly compared to the vagueness of the path's edge. I think it just needs to look, dirtier?
    However, they do look really good and these are more minor nitpicks!

You're absolutely right about the stump, I need to play around with that a bit. The top section by itself (which I had initially planned to use), Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stump Top.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	122925 looks too flat.

I'll take another pass at the ruts, I'm going to assume that the ones on the winter map look a little more convincing as wagon ruts?

Guild Artisan

Interesting. I like it.

One good thing about this style, is the detail that can still show on smaller objects. The color lines can be contrasting and look good vs real life textures the lines are blurred. The stump as mentioned is the wrong perspective. You can cheat a little bit but not that much. The one above looks fine, especially if you can get some roots under it.

The ruts look fine, better in the snow. Wagon ruts are not in straight lines, they meander a bit. Pairs of horses sway back and forth as they walk, so the ruts are never perfect in unison from front to back. Every pass making them wider.

Thank Kier, the high contrast is exactly what made me start to fiddle with it in the first place.

What do you think about this stump? A little bit of hacking and brush healing can go along way.

Name:	Stump_Top_roots.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	243.4 KB 
ID:	122930

As for the ruts, I'll take another crack at them, the more I'm looking at it the more I'm thinking I really didn't think them through to the extent I did the others

Guild Artisan

I like it. Easily identifiable. Looks good.