Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ink Experiment - Unnamed

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Default Ink Experiment - Unnamed

Not sure how "finished" this is, but it's as done as it's going to get, as I've ruined it by dropping a big ol' blob of ink onto it. Still, I'm awfully proud that I managed to get the dip pen to work at all, so I'm posting it anyway

This is done entirely with a dip quill pen and ink on drawing paper, scanned with no processing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img010.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	175.4 KB 
ID:	33696  

There are methods for erasing inks, even black ink. You could try a quick search of the www or this
    It'd be a shame not to complete such a map.
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Thanks, Crayons, I'll keep that link in case I drop ink on something important, but this was only an hour or so of work, and the writing's horrible to boot

I did however almost instantly decide to make a liar out of myself; I got a pack of ridiculously expensive colored pencils the other day and figured since it was already an experiment and pretty well ruined, I couldn't hurt it. So I practiced with the colored pencils by coloring it. Still scanned with no processing, and now I'm done Off to something I'll actually try to finish using the same methods.

Name:	img011.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	225.7 KB 
ID:	33701  

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very Nice Oh and I didn't forget our discussion in the chat, I just have to get to the art supply store
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

it looks great - and I'm with Ravi, its a lake
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Hehe, thanks guys

I actually did consider making it a lake, but I had already made a lake that wouldn't match it ... and honestly, the little maplet had served its purpose. I've been going through the pages of a sketchpad systematically for a couple weeks now trying to prove to myself that I could apply all of the hand-drawing techniques I've been practicing to actual hand-drawing on real paper. This is the first time I've been able to get that dip pen to work, and I really like the results, so I allowed myself to get actual watercolors and watercolor paper (just got home with them, yay). I think I'm getting close to actually being able to do ink-and-watercolor for real, and not just on the computer. Which is good, because as awesome as those colored pencils are, I'm not feelin' em for mapping.

As requested, here's a 300dpi scan (above is 150 dpi -- it's only about 3 inches square or so on the paper). It kinda looks crappy when it's super-zoomed like this, though.

Name:	img007.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	699.9 KB 
ID:	33706   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img012.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	909.9 KB 
ID:	33707  

Guild Journeyer

The other option to deal with an ink blot is to,... make it an ink blot. Create it as a dirty, stained, and torn map old map.

Someday I´ll go analog... it´s beautiful

So you had an "unhappy" accident . I like the style handwriting and all. I makes me think of a map drawn by an explorer during a rest in his journey well done. Can't wait to see to see how you incorporate what you learn into your next project !!
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast