Thread: [WIP] A world map for a book

Map [WIP] A world map for a book

Here is a map I'm making for a book. The author is pleased with it, so far, though I am less than perfectly satisfied with the mountains. I had to make the graticule bolder to have it show up in the reduced image. The original is 17x22 at 300 dpi and greatly exceeds the posting allowance.

It's done in a cylindrical gnomonic projection, which if I recall correctly is slightly different than a Mercator projection. There is no lettering on it because (in part) the author is still working on names and languages for this world.

I'd be greatly interested in any constructive criticism.

Thanks,
    Hugh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Teragriene 02 phys small.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	33929  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

No suggestions from me, yet. Looks pretty good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I don't know what exatly it is about this but this map is beautiful, i really like the rivers.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

Looks good! I am particularly found of that landmass shape; may I ask what inspired you to choose it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
    Looks good! I am particularly found of that landmass shape; may I ask what inspired you to choose it?
    Much of the geography was determined by the story it illustrates. The western and southern coasts of the large continent, are such elements. The rugged archipelago at the southwest tip, haven to pirates upon a time, the two western river systems, and the three parallel mountain ranges all figure in the story. The story says there's a single large continent that straddles the equator, but that the southern valley is far enough south to fall into a temperate zone. A second continent, much smaller, lies to the west. There are a few other story elements I've figured in, especially some of the cities. Beyond that, it was pretty much whatever I wanted to do.

The extension of the continent to the northeast started as an attempt to make the shape of the continent less rectangular. The large island to the east came about in response to the incurving east coast of the large continent - it created an eastern sea that might have story potential. After that I fiddled with it until I liked the shape generally, then went back and added complexity.

Glad you like it!

Hugh

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

A fine start.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by LonewandererD View Post
    I don't know what exatly it is about this but this map is beautiful, i really like the rivers.

-D-
    The rivers were etched into the heightfield by Wilbur. I drew over the top of them using RobA's tapered stroke script and straight strokes.