Thread: Drawiing maps of colleges, towns, or anything else in gimp.

Default Drawiing maps of colleges, towns, or anything else in gimp.

I was wondering if there was any tutorials here to help me draw this:
    http://www.geneva.edu/page/campus_map

It will be for a story that I will be working on later; I use gimp, and not photo-shop.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm pretty sure that this was drawn by hand on paper. That being said, there aren't any tuts on this that I'm aware of - this isometric/architectural style is hard unless you know how to do it. All you need is simple practice in doing it...and lots of it as this is very technical. Draw it at least twice the size you want, if not 4 times bigger. Me, I would do it up in SketchUp then import the lines into Gimp then color it. It's time-consuming but it'll get you pretty close. We have a lot of information on isometric stuff here but no reals tuts to match this style.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

You can do something like in Google sketch up with some playing around. With GIMP, if you want an ISO view, you would likely have to hand draw it all yourself, so in this aspect, I am not quite sure what you question is...

As for Google sketch up, there are tons of pre created models, perhaps even some buildings you need if you are doing a specific university, plus you can change the angles at will which you can't do in GIMP/PS.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I'd suggest inkscape to get the linework done, rather than gimp, as it supports isometric grids (which can have snap enabled). Colourng can be done in the Gimp quite easily.

-Rob A>

Rob, are there any tutorial here for creating isometric grids in inkscape and then importing it gimp and coloring it gimp?
    Last edited by aniolel; 02-27-2011 at 06:58 PM.

Blog Entries

Strictly speaking, that looks to be a trimetric projection, not isometric. (Both are examples of 'axonometric' projections.)

To set up an Axonometric grid, File->Document Properties->Grids, pick Axonometric from the drop down and click New. It defaults to an isometric grid, but you can adjust the angles to produce dimetric/trimetric grids (Roughly speaking, if the angles are 30°, it's Isometric, if something else, but equal, it's Dimetric, if they are unequal, it's Trimetric.)

You can actually do the colouring in Inkscape if you want, but exporting for the GIMP is just a matter of File->Export to Bitmap.

How about this: