Thread: The old watchtower

Default The old watchtower

I'm playing around with a simple map I've created in CD3. It uses the colour scheme from ravell's city map found here (I love this map). At the moment I don't know what I really want: maybe a combination of the map with 3D elements or a pure rendered map.
    Here is my start:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test Village.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	384.5 KB 
ID:	33953   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Village WIP 01.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	159.7 KB 
ID:	33954   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Render.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	162.9 KB 
ID:	33955  

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very cool so far
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Thanks jt!
    As mentioned in another post, I deleted Bryce from my computer, because it crashes very often. DAZ haven't even managed to release a complete updated manual that covers the new functions in the 7 version until now. So I've stumbled upon the free PLE version of Vue, which offers the functions of the Infinite version, except the watermark thing. I've always thought that the Pioneer version is the only free version, so I give it another try, which means progress on this project will be very slow...

Looking good, Katto, I've always wanted to experiment making a 3d city which is mostly flat but with the major buildings in 3d (it's on the to do list somewhere, lol). I use Bryce 6 which is pretty stable on my computer, but as I've just invested the messiah pro software, I'm aiming to switch to that for texturing / rendering. It's a pain having to learn all the new commands etc and I'm not sure how good messiah is on doing landscapes since it's primarily for animation. I've also downloaded the free version of Vue and am playing with it too, but I find it's quite slow on my computer (not so much the rendering but giving it commands etc). Still, the results one seems to get from vue on landscapes is mindblowing looking at the example pictures, so I'll probably work more with vue than Messiah.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

I like the render version and the effect of the 3d perspective for the map. Will be interesting to see how tall the tower is in relation to the surrounding buildings.

The cluster of buildings in the town though, why the empty space in the 'backyards'? Perhaps some cross hatching there for garden plots?

BOB

Please post your progress with Messiah and Vue ravs! What about your rocket girl?
    Anstett, the map is just a prototype, no details. It was interesting to see the 2D vs 3D scale. I have no idea about the level of detail at the moment and just play with different components e.g. the watchtower.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Watchtower.jpg 
Views:	566 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	34339   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Watchtower Ruin.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	34340  

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

Very nice stuff even as a prototype.

Starting to think about how to use a 3d rendering like these as part of a Klooge game.

BOB