Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WIP--City map

Nice,

I like the clean lines in this map, particularly those on the castle. What program/software did you use to create this?

It all looks really good. Here are a few suggestions though.

In terms of placement of districts, I find it odd that the industrial and warehouse districts are on opposite ends of the city. Wouldn't it make more sense if the warehouse, industrial, market, and docks were all clustered in the same area? Then of course the thieve's district would be close by these as well.

V~

This all started with a pencil sketch on graph paper, which was scanned in and used as tracing layer in Adobe Illustrator. However, I would think this could be done with any vector drawing program.
    Last edited by muddle; 03-03-2011 at 11:47 AM.

This is a nice map, very interesting style. I like it! Although I agree that it seems strange the Industrial district being so close to the noble one. Also, many cemetaries were built outside of towns and then dug up as a settlement expanded.

Default WIP--City Map Continued Progress

Thanks to all for their thoughts and feedback. I have tried to take all those comments into account and rearrange the districts a bit. Also started adding some roads and a few building details. All of this is far from finished but I wanted to post another image just to show that a bit of progress has been made. Will try and continue to work on this, and as always I welcome any comments or feedback.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	city-map-4.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	196.4 KB 
ID:	34124  

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks great. I think you have all your districts well thought out. I like the fact that your thieves area is in your "old town" district. That always seems to be the way. Also I can think of several very famous fantasy cities with large cemeteries inside the city walls. Nobles and Kings need to be buried where relatives feel safe visiting them also there is the matter of grave robbers, it's much easier to patrol a cemetery inside the walls than out.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Blog Entries

I just had another thought. You could add another thieves element to the foreign district. Thieves love visitors
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Another minor progress update. here is an example of how I am thinking of shading/rendering buildings ( all simple vector illustration stuff done by hand.) As well as another image of the entire city with additional roads and river work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vector_buildings_test.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	34336   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	city-map-5.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	330.5 KB 
ID:	34337  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The problem with pre-shaded buildings is that when you rotate them to fit a street the angles change and the shadows get messed up. I would recommend that instead of shaded roofs you use a simple line for the edge and then once the buildings are in place you can then shade them. They look good, though.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Looks Great

Finished Maps

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast