Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OPDC 2011 - Maestro of Cacophony

Default OPDC 2011 - Maestro of Cacophony

Well its been a year since I've posted something in the WIP forum, since I decided to try and squeeze an entry in for this year's One Page Dungeon Contest. Last year, I came very close to winning, but lacked enough encounter data in the legend/key - so I'll have to do a better job this year.

My plan is to create a ruined castle interior as my 'dungeon' owned by a particular Bardic Lich called the Maestro of Cacophony. This will have four or five chambers, one large chamber and a dungeon/cell chamber. I plan to have a grand pipe organ serve as the main piece and I just completed creating that. I plan to include a dead choir or orchestra, a demonic harp, a vampiric violin, a work bench, study and laboratory, bedroom and a downstairs dungeon.

This will be my normal hand-drawn styled map with beveled shapes, coloring, drop shadows done in Xara Xtreme.

Here's the pipe organ map object...

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pipe-organ-object.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	210.3 KB 
ID:	33979

PNG with Alpha Channel version
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	organ-pipes.png 
Views:	508 
Size:	424.9 KB 
ID:	34006  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 03-01-2011 at 03:21 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Default Dead Harper object

Next map object, the Dead Harper - the Maestro is going to have a full small orchestra of dead musicians that he animates to perform is ochestral masterpieces - its the way he controls magic. It might be difficult to see with the Alpha channel, but this object comes with a distinct double shadow of the harp and dead woman below it - you'll need to place it on light background to see better.

Unlike the last object, this one is a PNG file with Alpha channel - I might alpha channel the organ later.

Name:	dead-harper.png 
Views:	863 
Size:	320.2 KB 
ID:	33992
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Both Awesome !!
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

great start... and great concept...looking forward to seing it
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Default Bone Violinist

Next object - the Bone Violinist...

GP

Name:	bone-violinist.png 
Views:	1416 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	34005
    DrivethruRPG store

Default Half rotten tuba player

'Half rotten tuba player and tuba' map object!

GP

Name:	half-rotten-tuba-player.png 
Views:	827 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	34011
    DrivethruRPG store

Default Pierced Celloist

Whoops another musical accident victim - the pierced celloist...

GP

Name:	pierced-celloist.png 
Views:	1054 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	34018
    DrivethruRPG store

Default Pile o' Sheet Music

This map is going to require heaps of sheet music strewn across the floor - this is the basic pile I've created.

GP

Name:	sheet-music-pile.png 
Views:	1295 
Size:	714.6 KB 
ID:	34019
    DrivethruRPG store

Default Structural Design and trial placement of objects...

I figured out how I wanted to lay this out, what scale. Then I hand-drew the walls and floor stepping. The floors look currently very boring, but the colors are just place-holders for what I will hand draw next - looking at the possibilities of mosaics on the floor of the orchestra hall. Then I definitely want to put stone tile of some sort in the main outer chambers. Note the white blank hallway in the center going to the bottom - I plan to place a staircase going down here. On the far left upper center I placed a balcony, but I want to create an ornate rail before I hand-draw that part.

Now I have to consider how this place will be furnished. The two rooms south of the orchestra hall contains the Maestro's study and his bedroom (though why a lich needs a bedroom...?) The two upper left chambers will be storage and a prison cell for potential orchestra members, including someone the party was sent to rescue.

I still plan to create a clarinet player, a flutist and a trumpet player to add to the orchestra. Will probably create ornate comfy chairs to sit in the upper reaches (left side). I need to create and place doors. I might create a dead audience as well - so yeah, lots to do.

The area to the bottom right is where the intended map key will go.

GP

Name:	bardic.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	743.8 KB 
ID:	34039
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 03-02-2011 at 03:44 AM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast