Thread: Kilians First Map

Default Kilians First Map

Greetings my fellow Cartographers
    Well I installed Photoshop CS4 a week ago and started playing around with it this past weekend. I do not know anything about Photoshop CS4, so I figured that it was time to learn and at least get to a point where I am able to draw amazing maps as you Master Cartographers have been doing.

Attached you will find my first attempt. As soon as my tablet arrives I will try another one. I am excited to upload this map, knowing that in a few months from now I will be looking back and see how much I have grown. I made use of RPGMapmakers tutorial on Youtube.

Please fire away with advice. Keep in mind that should you give advice, that you are speaking to an absolute green horn.
    Thank you for the community.
    Kilian

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eerste kaart.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	34012

PS. I need to get a few more brushes.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's great for a first map. Way better than my first few. Here's some feedback for you

1. Your mountains are too neat. Try a blur to make them less so.
    2.The snow on the mountains is a nice touch but it's a bit too strong. Try lowering the opacity and blurring.

All in all a great first map. Keep it up
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

What's your intended scale? Those mountains look great at the size shown in the thumbnail, but like jtougas says, they seem too geometrical viewed up close. One solution to that if you're willing to do a continental-size map, is to just do more of them, and smaller. I bet in clusters and strings those would make dandy ranges. That would necessitate shrinking the river width a lot though. Your forests actually would work at a smaller scale better - they're such a fine texture. Granted, if such a mountain is a kilometer or two high, it's in scale for trees to be individually indistinguishable. It's a good start !

Yeah, I wish I had a tablet too. I make do with a mouse or a touchpad, and sometimes wonder about swiping my daughter's Wacom :-).