Thread: Terre haute

Wip Terre haute

Hello guys ! Been a long time !

Here is a map I drawn in the process of creating a new fantasy world I intend to use in several projects I have. It's purely pen & paper for now and I hesitate about which way to take it : sticking to p&p or going digital, if so what style to use,...

So I thought I'd let you see it and comment/criticize it. Maybe it'll help me make the best choices possible...

The world is an island called Haute-Terre (High-Land) which is rather small (about 300 km from west to east and the same from north to south). It has four major human cities plus a dwarven underground city, a few towns, two major mountain masses and two major forests.

Well, I let you take a look at it, we'll talk about it afterwards ;-)

PS : Bonjour à la communauté francophone ! Nous n'étions pas aussi nombreux la dernière fois que je suis passé par ici

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	terrehaute.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	201.9 KB 
ID:	34014

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Looks great! Your symbols mesh well together and it's interesting terrain. The only real problem I see is that you have a river that splits at Two Rivers; If that actually happened one branch would die as the other opened.

I read the topic about realistic rivers features a while ago, and I thought about it while drawing the map.

The split river is in fact caused by a terrain feature, called Racine-des-Monts (Mountains' root) which is located just south of the town of Deux-Rivières. It looks the same way that sometimes a tree's root comes over the ground, except it's a huge rock. This is why it's called that way. I guess that, since water always uses the easiest way, it would be logical that river would split there, since the landscape there is mostly soft ground. To the north, the town of Deux-Rivières is located on a plateau largely made of shale that ends in high cliffs at the sea, so there is no way for the two parts of the river to join again before the sea.

I know this kind of feature doesn't really exist in our world, but I thought it might be pretty logical... don't know what you think of it...
    Back to business

I live a few miles from this place:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,+Indiana&z=11

Not sure if you knew about this town when you were working on your map.

Nope, I didn't

It isn't really surprising, though. I chose pretty logical places names, closely related to the landmarks... What is most surprising is to find that place in Indiana. I would have expected it to be in Quebec or something ^^
    Back to business

OK, gave it a bit more work tonight. Guess it begins to look a little less like a quick drawing and a little more like a map...

Could use a bit of cleaning, though...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	terrehaute2.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	341.8 KB 
ID:	34033
    Back to business

Nice map. I would be ever better I think If you make it older a bit.

French : Du genre en vieillissant les bords, rajoutant des tâches etc...

But it depends of the idea you had in mide about the map

Talking about spliting river, they are called defluent. A famous exemple is the Casiquiare Canal that is a defluent of the Orenoque.

I was born in the city of Terre Haute, Indiana, though have only been there a few times since. Korrigan, french history is pretty heavy in the region, especially Illinois (where I now live) from French colony days in the late 1600's and early 1700's. So I too was surprised to see your fantasy isle named the same.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations