Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP - More Fun with Ink and Watercolor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Default WIP - More Fun with Ink and Watercolor

Stuck on my Mackinac map (the bluffs are totally defeating me at the moment), so I decided to do another practice map with the quill and watercolors. This time I'm actually attempting to make it a "real" map, not just a doodle like the last one. I'm also incorporating some terrains that weren't on the first: I put a swamp into the jungle-ish southern continent, and there eventually will be some grassland in the northern.

Not sure if I mentioned it on the last one, but this workflow is very odd -- the labels have to be done first, not last like I usually do, which feels weird. It's fun though. And easy to work on while you're on the phone with family in crisis, which is one reason I've been doing so much on paper lately.

So here's the current WIP - it's about halfway through the ink work, and you can see some upcoming stuff penciled in. Most of the terrain I'm not actually penciling first, but mountains "erased" around text I have to pencil in, as well as the text itself; the quill makes for horrid freehand writing. It's scanned at 200dpi, which after comparing a ton of resolutions, seems to give the best approximation of what I see when I actually look at the paper.

I'm not sure how I'm going to handle the grasslands of Denilka yet, or what to do with empty spaces that don't have enough room for trees/hills/etc., like Arcun. Any suggestions would be welcome
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img024.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	34024  

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Yeah, I can see how you'd have to do the text first, since there'd be no way to squeeze it in/over the landscapes and trees etc. once those are done...

Looks pretty groovy so far.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Lookin pretty nice there.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Good stuff....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks everyone!

Turns out that the ink and paper is easier to get to at the moment than the computer, so I have another update. The next will probably be the completed line drawing.

Name:	img025.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	34112  

I love those mountains.

Very nice work Gidde, I'd rep but I need to spread the love around first. However, one small thing. Are you going to colour it? Becuase in black and white at the moment it does feel a bit crowded. Still great though.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nicely done... wish I had the patience (and desire) to do something like this.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

@ carstairs: Thanks! Been practicing them a ton

@ LW: Definitely plan on coloring; the whole thing is really an excuse to play with the paints & brushes. I agree that it looks way crowded; I'm hoping that the color brings it into clarity, but eliminating the crowdedness may be the focus of future experiments.

@ SG: Thanks for the kind words! I actually find this takes less time than the stuff I've done on the PC though, so patience isn't really one of the necessary prereqs

Finished the line drawing last night, hope to be painting it today.

Name:	img027.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	2.92 MB 
ID:	34122  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You might want to add some weight to the letters like on the mtns...things all sort of run together and thicker letters would help them pop.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast