Thread: WIP - More Fun with Ink and Watercolor

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Default WIP - More Fun with Ink and Watercolor

Stuck on my Mackinac map (the bluffs are totally defeating me at the moment), so I decided to do another practice map with the quill and watercolors. This time I'm actually attempting to make it a "real" map, not just a doodle like the last one. I'm also incorporating some terrains that weren't on the first: I put a swamp into the jungle-ish southern continent, and there eventually will be some grassland in the northern.

Not sure if I mentioned it on the last one, but this workflow is very odd -- the labels have to be done first, not last like I usually do, which feels weird. It's fun though. And easy to work on while you're on the phone with family in crisis, which is one reason I've been doing so much on paper lately.

So here's the current WIP - it's about halfway through the ink work, and you can see some upcoming stuff penciled in. Most of the terrain I'm not actually penciling first, but mountains "erased" around text I have to pencil in, as well as the text itself; the quill makes for horrid freehand writing. It's scanned at 200dpi, which after comparing a ton of resolutions, seems to give the best approximation of what I see when I actually look at the paper.

I'm not sure how I'm going to handle the grasslands of Denilka yet, or what to do with empty spaces that don't have enough room for trees/hills/etc., like Arcun. Any suggestions would be welcome
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img024.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	34024