Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: CC3 Documentation

Guild Novice

As a new user, I'd really like some in depth discussion of scaling maps. For example, drilling down thru a multi-level subterranean cave/dungeon system starting at the surface.

I'm having a fairly difficult time getting my head around the idea because, in my view, it to needs to be scaled in three dimensions. Quite possibly, I'm simply not seeing the forest for the trees as I'm still very low on the learning curve.

TIA.

I don't understand how you mean scaling. What I think of as 'scaling' doesn't fall in with the example you gave. Can you explain in little more?

I used CC2 & CC3 as my primary map making tool for quite sometime now and honestly there is still a lot of stuff I never learned how to do. I would see beautiful maps created and say how the heck do I do that?

It is certainly frustrating. I think a CC3 forum like this would certainly be helpful. And of course as many tutorials you and others can make would be a great help.

Thanks.

There is a ProFantasy forum. You can find it here:
    http://forum.profantasy.com/

Not that I wouldn't want you to spend all your time here. I just wanted to let you know that they actually do have a forum now.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Thanks RP! Did not know this...

Guild Applicant

Post New CC3 User

I can't seem to figure out how to pull symbols from the catalog. I want north/south mountains rather than east/west. Would someone mind spelling it out for me? I just bought the program the other day, and havn't done this kind of stuff before.

I've had CC2 Pro for a long time and shelved it because I found it far too complicated to use. (Even when compared to Photoshop - whic is easy to get going with and takes a lifetime to master.)

Now I have upgraded to CC3 in an attempt to start afresh amd guess what - th whole thing is still far too complicated to use.

What I'd really like is a tutorial that is on two levels. 1st: it walks me through the basic way of creating a map (one of each for each of the modules. ie. a fracttal world, then an overland map, then a city, then a dungeon, then a perspective view, then a character or two, and so on!) 2nd: I create the same thing but the tutorial is stuffed with info on the tools used and their options.

So in the end I can get some artwork completed and feel good about myself. Then I can revisit the artwork and feel confient with the program.

Also if there were some embedded or acompanying video clips, sample stages of maps, user insights, .... All would be good!

It's a lot to ask for but I don't want ProFantasy software to be relegated to the pile of powerfull-but-poorly-documented software and left on my shelf again for another year or more!

Phew!

Quote Originally Posted by wigwam View Post
    I've had CC2 Pro for a long time and shelved it because I found it far too complicated to use. (Even when compared to Photoshop - whic is easy to get going with and takes a lifetime to master.)

Now I have upgraded to CC3 in an attempt to start afresh amd guess what - th whole thing is still far too complicated to use.

What I'd really like is a tutorial that is on two levels. 1st: it walks me through the basic way of creating a map (one of each for each of the modules. ie. a fracttal world, then an overland map, then a city, then a dungeon, then a perspective view, then a character or two, and so on!) 2nd: I create the same thing but the tutorial is stuffed with info on the tools used and their options.

So in the end I can get some artwork completed and feel good about myself. Then I can revisit the artwork and feel confient with the program.

Also if there were some embedded or acompanying video clips, sample stages of maps, user insights, .... All would be good!

It's a lot to ask for but I don't want ProFantasy software to be relegated to the pile of powerfull-but-poorly-documented software and left on my shelf again for another year or more!

Phew!
    Funny you ask about video, because June's Annual contribution was video.

SOrry, it does cost money to get the annual, but for that money, you get a lot of cool content.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Post Wanted from CC3

Hiya,

I just bought CC3 last week and, though I'm convinced it's the right tool and there's obviously a lot of power there to be used, I am finding it frustrating to get started. The basic Essentials pdf barely scratches the surface... a lot more help is needed for newbies like me.

Help with the following would be nice:

1) Layers and Sheets
    2) Basic editing--how to go back and clean up mistakes
    3) How to convert something from FT Pro into something usable in CC3

... I dunno, there's just so much...

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Hiya,

I just bought CC3 last week and, though I'm convinced it's the right tool and there's obviously a lot of power there to be used, I am finding it frustrating to get started. The basic Essentials pdf barely scratches the surface... a lot more help is needed for newbies like me.

Help with the following would be nice:

1) Layers and Sheets
    2) Basic editing--how to go back and clean up mistakes
    3) How to convert something from FT Pro into something usable in CC3

... I dunno, there's just so much...

-Mike
    Mike, I am gonna answer your questions here, in another thread. It'll be done soon.

OK, I've covered SHEETS & LAYERS here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...7105#post27105
    Last edited by NeonKnight; 07-21-2008 at 03:33 PM.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast