Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: CC3 Documentation

A few things that I've bumped into over the past couple weeks since I bought CC3...

1) Symbols - the relationship between symbol styles, symbol catalog settings, FastCAD symbol catalogs, the actual PNG's themselves, and the UI that interacts with all those objects is extraordinarily unintuitive and almost completely undocumented. If you want to do anything more with symbols than use the premade styles, you're going to need to spend hours basically reverse-engineering the symbol system from the vague clues you get out of the UI's behavior. I really think this is one of the most user-unfriendly subsystems I've ever seen (coming from a UNIX nerd) and is absolutely screaming out for documentation.

2) The various trimming and selecting functions are pretty foreign to most people, I'd guess. (They were to me, at least.) These are decently well-documented in the Help files, but it would be nice to have a single tutorial bringing the info together with some examples.

3) Sheet Effects are scantily documented and prone to strange interactions, but also very important if you want a good-looking map.

4) A short tutorial on editing, combining, and exploding existing entities would be helpful. This is all in the help, but again it's spread across a lot of topics and would be much more useful all in one place.

I didn't find the basic use of sheets and layers to be very problematic compared to many people. I have to wonder whether they actually followed the built-in tutorial, as it covers those topics quite well.

Hi all

I would be interested to hear how this is progressing?

It is progressing very well. I do want to thank the folks who took the time to respond to my request and gave their input.

Cool, look forward to seeing it!

You Need Rep!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

First, what is the status on this project? Been a bit since someone posted in this thread.

Better macro documentation is a must. Currently the only real complete macro reference is in the Tome of Ultimate Mapping. Even then, that's just several spreadsheets listing out all the commands with little rhyme or reason, and no examples. For a programmer like myself, this is a painful, but workable, solution. I could see a non-programmer taking one look at this quagmire and running away screaming.

Granted, the average or casual user won't care about creating macros, but serious users will be creating/using macros.

Quote Originally Posted by languard View Post
    First, what is the status on this project? Been a bit since someone posted in this thread.

Better macro documentation is a must. Currently the only real complete macro reference is in the Tome of Ultimate Mapping. Even then, that's just several spreadsheets listing out all the commands with little rhyme or reason, and no examples. For a programmer like myself, this is a painful, but workable, solution. I could see a non-programmer taking one look at this quagmire and running away screaming.

Granted, the average or casual user won't care about creating macros, but serious users will be creating/using macros.

The full manual has been available for a little while now. Go to your registration page to download it. This manual contains what is felt that the majority of 'average' users will need. It doesn't include macros. Macros are considered an advanced feature of CC3.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that all there is in the Tome of Ultimate Mapping for macros are the spreadsheets. There is a chapter that includes a good bit of information on writing macros in the ToUM. In the chapter Menus and Macros, the macro info starts on page 122 and goes through to page 128.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

Ah, so that's the manual you were talking about. Gotcha.

I'll go take another poke at the Tome, see what's in those pages. Been getting a headache trying to create a semi-complex macro :p

This is probably a stupid question, but how and where do I download this manual? I cannot find anything on my profile page which would link me to it.

Having just found the forum here I think its worth noting as well that there are now a series of Video Tutorials as well.

They are hosted on the profantasy.com website and they are over an hour if you watch all three.

When I was done all I could think of was, "It can't be that easy" Guess what, it is.

I've had a lot of basic experience with Paint Shop Pro, Corel Draw I think it was called a while ago, CC2, and then purchased CC3. After seeing those videos I immediately switched to CC3 and do not regret it.

Enjoy!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast