Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When last we left our intrepid band of adventurers.....

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

Info When last we left our intrepid band of adventurers.....

Hello there Cartographers.

My name is BOB and I have run a D&D game for many years.

www.dragonslayers-society.org

I have been successful at having a game run for the last 17+ years and I have been lucky to have many excellent players through the years.

Of course along the way I have accumulated a lot of maps in various forms and now I am trying to make a concerted effort to put together a full world view set of maps. I have been working for the last few months with artists over on www.elance.com to commission specific maps and now am starting to look for other options for hiring people who have more talent in art than I do (about 90% of the population I would guess ). I have collected some pre-published world maps from Forgotten Realms and merged those with my own world design. Future postings will include details on the areas I want to map and the various styles for each.

I am also recruiting/auditioning for new players to add this year to the campaign. We play on Friday nights 7-11 EST (GMT +5 I think) and the contact information is also on the site.

I run my campaign through a VT program called Klooge (www.kloogeinc.com) and need any and all maps to be usable both on my site for my players to see and to import into the program for game play. I do not want grid markings and few labels on the maps to make them more "realistic" to use during game play (no counting 4 squares away so they are within range, you will have to guess or use the internal measuring tool).

Any maps I do commission will be for my personal game use only and will not be used commercially. The creator retains all rights to their work except for giving me non-commercial use of it.

Good to find this resource, I look forward to expanding my selections of maps soon.

BOB

Thanks Rav,

No I have given up hope on making decent maps myself. The comment I get from other artists is "oh, ok, well I can work with this"

BOB

I can trace grids and hexes with the best of them!

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the Guild
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Welcome to the Guild!

Welcome! So do you use the Klooge thing to run your campaign online, or is it something for you to use with players present, instead of / along with physical stuff around a table?

Don't sell yourself TOO short with the "no talent" lament. You've been playing or running this game for 17 years - your brain is full of history, action, culture, anecdotes, geography... putting that on paper, or on a screen, would be *easier* with native artistic talent, but if you wanted to do it yourself I bet you a pair of 20-sided dice you could come up with servicable, even enjoyable maps. The brain's already got the data, you "just" need to get it chronicled. There's a gazillion tutorials here, umpteen helpful tutors and critics (the good kind), examples out the wazoo, inspiration galore... I betcha can.

Of course as one interested in commissioning maps, you're welcome "just" as a good reason to do some interesting cartography :-). So no matter what, we're glad you're here.

Thanks everyone,

I can make a passable map if I have to but I find that my players really enjoy me putting more effort into planning the adventures and the campaign than the art work that goes along with it. The same holds true for learning mapping programs, etc. I have been given CC2/3 and Dunjini through the years and never found enough time to get good enough at it.

Klooge is a Virtual Tabletop program, I use to run the game along with all the archives and oral histories from the website. We used to have an even mix of people at the table and people through the Internet but over the last couple of years we have become essentially Internet only. Anyone who is interested in sitting in on a session is free to grab me in IM or email.

As I cruise through the maps here I will be sure to let anyone know if I do use them in the campaign and I will give credit and payment as due.

BOB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast