Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: March 2011 entry: Pax Italia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default March 2011 entry: Pax Italia

This may be a non-starter, depending on how much time I have, but I thought I'd join in for this one, since it ties in with an idea I've been kicking around for a while.

My entry will be a board game set in an alternate 16th century Italy which is even more fragmented than our world's was, with steampunk and magic. Each player starts out as either the ruler of an Italian nation or a condottierre leader, the goal is to unify Italy!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Viva italia! ... sounds exiting - so are you going with classic hex based war game... or something more like a diplomacy board? ... looking forward to seing the steampunk and magic incorporated
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

It's going to be set up kind of like a Risk or Axis & Allies board, with differently shaped and sized territories. I actually DO want to create an actual boardgame of this, so this Challenge is good motivation.

Random thoughts:

-Depending on what you as a player start out as, either a duke or a general, you'll have different starting abilities, which can change and multiply as you gain or lose territory. I thought it'd be a cool idea that, if you lose all your territory, you're allowed a kind of 'saving throw' that lets you convert your few remaining followers into the nucleus of a new army, essentially allowing you to restart as a condottierre, though with much reduced benefits and power. Hmm. Have to ponder that some more.

-Each player will have to draw an Event Card every turn. These will denote things that happen to that player and his territory. It could be something benign like extra crops, allowing you to raise more men for your army in a specific province for one turn, or it could be something awful, like a plague that kills a percentage of your troops. Then there will be Special Event Cards (need to think of a better name). These cards must be purchased (limit of one a turn) unless the Event Card you draw lets you have a free Special Event. The Special Events will be stuff like New Invention (steam dirigibles? ) which you'll have exclusive use of and monopoly on for a number of turns, after which everyone else can develop them as well. Or stuff like Foreign Alliance - France decides to back your claim, so you get an extra infusion of money each turn... until you happen to draw an Event Card that negates your alliances.

-Players can ally with each other against other players; this works especially well if one is a duke and the other is a general. All kinds of good times can be had with that, I think.

edit: oh, BTW, thanks to whichever mod fixed my thread title. D'oh!
    Last edited by Diamond; 03-04-2011 at 03:33 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    edit: oh, BTW, thanks to whichever mod fixed my thread title. D'oh!
    no problem ... sounds very cool... and also like you've got your work cut out for you
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I suppose I'd better get a beginning up here.

*** LATEST WIP ***
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PaxItalia1.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	396.3 KB 
ID:	34098  

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Can't wait to see this map! Alternate Italy - cooool!

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This sounds really interesting (and well thought out )
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Not much to see yet; just blocking out colors and finalizing how I want the land and sea to look.

*** LATEST WIP ***
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PaxItalia2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	905.2 KB 
ID:	34106  

Oh cool , I ahve never seen that black and white way to start out -- also it already looks done XD

Quote Originally Posted by lapada View Post
    Oh cool , I ahve never seen that black and white way to start out -- also it already looks done XD
    I always start out with a B&W - that acts as my base, so I can easily add new layers/layer styles with a ready-made template already in place.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast