Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gadzooks I'm in a lull - somebody slap me

Default Gadzooks I'm in a lull - somebody slap me

Uhg, but I've got a lethargy lately. I want to draw and map and stuff and I can visualize what I want to do but when I sit down I keep getting the a case of the blahs....

Tis rubbish I say but I need to blow out the cobwebs or something. What's going on?

I guess I shouldn't be too hard on myself but it's been about a week I guess and I haven't done much of anything.

oh oh, do ya think it means my subconscious mind is cooking up something really great? nah...that's probably just wishful thinking.

I'm not sure what the deal is but it's like my body is in mud or something.

I've got an idea I'm working to hard lately and it's not leaving enough energy for my art career. Sometimes I just hate the real world...well, maybe most times.

Hopefully I get back to full steam soon, there is lots I want to do, I just don't seem to be doing it the last couple weeks. Oh blah, maybe I'll go lay down.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Digital art is all about fine motor skills and micro decisions. Try doing something that takes neither. Ride a bike a long way, climb a tree or chop one down. Rearrange the furniture in a room. Paint a wall, mix and pour concrete, dig a hole.

Then put your blahs in the hole and bury them :-). Turn up the lights... if it's a touch of Seasonal Affective Disorder chase it away with superior wattage.

Or find something you should do, that is way less desirable than mapping. Start it or plan it, then allow yourself to put it off... I sometimes do good work, when what I'm doing is avoiding doing something else :-).

Chocolate.

Maybe try drawing something you have always wanted to? or try something completely different! a new style perhaps? or do work for someone else?

They say the best way to get new idea is to go out and walk around ( or just change your surrounding ) but I know what you mean about real world taking over. When I was doing my co-op ( first real work ) By the time I got home I had 0 energy for art, just played EVE all night :/

Good ideas all. Appreciate the input. I have a pretty physical job during the day and lately it's been pretty rough. My back was killing me a couple days ago, fortunately I had a light day that allowed me to recover. So as far as moving furniture I'm thinking I'm not slacking on the physical exertion part.

I just feel like vegging lately. I can only take so much of that however. Hopefully I'll be fired up again soon which is typically how I am. This is kind of an odd experience for me. My mind is usually going at a hundred miles an hour so I'm just a tripping out about this. I feel badly for ones who get stuck in this mode though. I'd seriously not enjoy it.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ahhh... should have saved my post #3000 for this... *SLAP!!!!* *lol*

I have a small correction to gibsons suggestion (which is good) ... change superior wattage to superior vintage ... cheers

and sometimes you're just in a slump - been there myself and yes it was exams and work not leaving energy for anything else - but I feel like I'm getting over it myself, I manage to throw a map together for the last challenge, so thats going in the right direction. Perhaps you should go for your next silver compass - there are only 10 days left so that'll force you to go moderatly fast (or wait a week before starting)
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Heya Jaxilon,
    I am in the exact same boat as you...think I tend to get that way in the Winter. I've got a boatload of stuff I want/need to do but whenever I sit down in front of it I just seem to draw a blank. I'm trying to break the tasks into small, achievable bits and move from one project to the next. It's working a little but, really, I think I just need to take more St. John's Wort and turn on my S.A.D. light. You're in AZ so it's probably not a light thing though Hang in there.
    M

If you aren't required to be making art for a living, then don't sweat it. Just relax and give your body and mind some rest. As soon as you really relax I bet the floodgates open wide. I think most creative people go through this, where they just need some down time to recharge.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Been going through something similar since last Summer...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Default Don't know the meaning...

I don't know the meaning of 'artist's block', I've got so many projects running simultaneously, if I get stuck on one, I just move to another existing project until I get reinspired to the other one. But then my imagination runs at break neck speed like my mapping, so its never really been a problem for four years straight. I don't envy you guys, and hope I don't fall into that situation... ever. Don't worry your inspirations should get back to you in no time.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast