Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my 1st map - physical continent

Default my 1st map - physical continent

After i found Ascensions Tutorial for Atlas-Style last night I went crazy about trying and learning... Here's the result.

Dear Guildsmen,
    I'm a new aspirant - some personal information will be introduced right after this here is done.

Finding your Community and all the helpful hands it offer's really made me happy. Especially Ascensions Tut opened
    my eyes - working for almost 10 years with PS and DTP-Software made me kind of snowblind to the tricks and techniques
    I needed - let's say - 18 years by now, to bring nothing less then a whole world to papyrus (all the pen and paper-work
    was just the nursery =)

then here's my 1st try in regional/worldmapping right after A's Tut just to learn the handling - not related to any rpg/
    fantasyworld - I wanted to make it pure physical/kind of satalite-view so i skipped the borders and other landmarks...

I also varied in colors, expand-ranges and the way of blending layers in and out to see what's possible - and to make
    it more personal to me

this I like:
    + the fantastic way to roughen the coastlines
    + the possibilities of lightspots
    + my colors
    + that's all together are simple tricks - but their combination (I hadn't found myself) make the brilliance
    Lot of Thanks to Ascension again and again...

this I don't like (so much about my 1st try)
    - shelfline isn't such a beautiful rough cliff (i guess it's a matter of the expanded selection and some more trys with the bevel-contour)
    - some mountainranges have strange steps (i blended some mountains via masks out - but it also looks to be used cool somewhere)
    - some hillareas look more like valleys/sinks (must have s.th. to do with the set LightSpots - more to play and test)
    - the polar region could use some/one big glacier/s (i might create another hugh flat mountainlayer and experiment with the bevel)

Name:  grarrr_own1stMAP_dislike1.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  26.1 KBName:  grarrr_own1stMAP_dislike2.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  35.8 KBName:  grarrr_own1stMAP_dislike3.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  40.6 KBName:  grarrr_own1stMAP_dislike4.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  30.4 KB

boah - i wrote quite a lot... and there is so much more: how does this technique work when i want to redraw my landmasses, mountains and
    coasts already clear defined? how do i keep accuracy when changing the scale: Planet > Continent > Countries > Regions > Town > piazza?
    and where goes the time?

so I hope this is an appropriate 1st Try an post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grarrr_own1stMAP_2000px.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	34075  
    Last edited by grarrr; 03-03-2011 at 12:19 AM.

I think it looks amazing. I really should go through the gimp version of the tut. Did I download that? Better go dig through the comp...
    Some useful cartography facts:
    Circumference (C) of the Earth is about 25,000 miles or 40,000 km.
    Highest point on Earth is 5.5 miles (8.9 km) above sea level (ASL/BSL).
    Lowest point of land on Earth is 1/4 mile (0.4 km) BSL.
    Lowest elevation in the ocean is 6.8 miles (10.9 km) BSL.

And our solar system:
    C of Jupiter = 279,118 miles (449,197 km).
    Highest mountain is Olympus Mons on Mars. It is 16 miles high (24 km) and is the size of Arizona.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Glad you found it helpful and informative. As to your questions in the paragraphs before the pics - yes, there's so much to experiment with that I never make two maps alike (and I created the damn method). Heh heh. Of course, I prefer the tweaking and changing and experimenting so that I always come up with new things. As to the last paragraph, you can keep everything non-destructve by using masks and adjustment layers and for max detail work as large as you can - I can work up 25,000 x 15,000. A simpler way is to make each continent separate and then just composite them on top of a big blue ocean. I like your colors, very bright and vivid like a board game.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Awesome job, dude! I especially like the colors in your mountains - that really looks great.

I like it, it'd make a nice board game. (spelling correction: "phYsically"

Thanks and more Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    [...] I prefer the tweaking and changing and experimenting so that I always come up with new things. [...]
    yeah - I'm comfortable with the idea of Learning By Doing till desired result ...and then maybe define some actions

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    [...] you can keep everything non-destructve by using masks and adjustment layers and for max detail work as large as you can - I can work up 25,000 x 15,000. A simpler way is to make each continent separate and then just composite them on top of a big blue ocean. I like your colors, very bright and vivid like a board game.
    each continent seperate isn't the way cuz they're not really detached, i thought of this but it would lead to other difficulties - but thank you

and thank you for the kind words from the Meister =)

Thanks
    and upps - what happend - it took a while but i managed to insert the correct one

Fantastic. I hope Ill be as good as that one day. Well done!

Very good. I especially like the northern region that has the feeling of ice coverd woodland.

There are spacec where everything seems to be blurred or without pattern. They stand out want to be filled in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast