Thread: Need some advices

Default Need some advices

Hi to all!
    I am a new member of this fantastic and useful website.

What I am going to post is not a serious map, it's just an example of what will be my first map.
    I use PhotoShop CS5 and I have to say 'thanks' to StarRaven and his precious brushes pack.

Here's the map: link.

I tried to make all the elements of a continental map in this simple one: there is a desert, some mountains and hills, a river and a lake, some glacial lands and a grassland.
    Now what I need to know is:

1) Is the river ok? I mean: it's only an erase-method of the massland.
    2) How to make a good desert? I tried to make it but it's terrible. I placed some sand-hills but... aww. Any info?
    3) Grassland, mountains and hills should be ok. Don't you think?
    4) The worst thing is a glacial land. In this map style it's very hard to do: or is it just me? Anybody know how to make it good? I didn't make it because I hadn't no idea of how do it.

That should be enough . To who is asking: I used 'Dominician' as font and a stock of old paper.

Oh, sorry for my english: it is not my first language

Thanks, Gan.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Gan,
    nice beginning map ...
    1. The river is basicly ok - however, both the river and the coastline are very thin in comparrison to your other elements - so I'd thicken them up some
    2. A desert is basicly empty land - so dunes and an oasis is mostly what you can do to show it
    3. Yep
    4. Glacial land is hard to make - again like the desert you have mostly empty land - a key to your symbols can help this though.

with those questions answered - I like your texture and good colors, you'll get the hang of this in no time

for future uploads I would propose that you push the "go advanced" button and use the "attachment manager" to upload your pics directly to the guild - that way we're not dependent on another site to work to see the images in our forum
    and for future works ... make a WIP thread as you work - that way you can get help while you work and not only after you're finished
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    Hi Gan,
    nice beginning map ...
    1. The river is basicly ok - however, both the river and the coastline are very thin in comparrison to your other elements - so I'd thicken them up some
    2. A desert is basicly empty land - so dunes and an oasis is mostly what you can do to show it
    3. Yep
    4. Glacial land is hard to make - again like the desert you have mostly empty land - a key to your symbols can help this though.
    Awesome, thanks for the advices!
    I was thinking the same thing about the glacial land: it is an empty land, and perhaps, as you said, a symbols legend should help.
    About the river and the coastline, yeah, I know it. I guess I should make the coastline thiner; or make the symbols less thin.

Thanks!

for future uploads I would propose that you push the "go advanced" button and use the "attachment manager" to upload your pics directly to the guild - that way we're not dependent on another site to work to see the images in our forum
    I tried it but the windows didn't load up. Only a blank window. I will retry

with those questions answered - I like your texture and good colors, you'll get the hang of this in no time
    Woah, that's nice. Thanks.

and for future works ... make a WIP thread as you work - that way you can get help while you work and not only after you're finished
    I will do it!

I was planning to download some other brushes and useful symbols for maps. And tomorrow I will have my new tablet

Thanks again