Thread: 3d mapping?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question 3d mapping?

Well I am a huge Suzail of the Forgotten Realms buff and have always wanted to render a cheesy diorama of the city.
    I've played with a few a long time ago, but nothing really met my needs. Anyone know of a free, easy way to add in basic structures? I am playing with Bryce 7 right now, but that seems a bit over the top for what I want.

Any thoughts?

Check out Sketchup, for sure. Google it: it is free and has tonnes of tutorials. It is specifically designed so that newbies can intuitively build 3D models.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

What RE said. I'm a complete newbie with 3d stuff as well, and I'm finding SketchUp to be very easy to use. It also has a ton of cool user-donated free models of castles and things.

Forget Bryce 7. It is unstable, always throws exceptions and crashes. I've kicked it from my HD and try now the Vue PLE Version.

I did download Googlesketch, but am unsure whether it can render a whole environment. I'll goo look that the Vue PLE. Thanks for that info.

Sketchup looks pretty good and does have a library of buildings around but you are likely limited to "private use" unless you spent time researching any copyright issues. I did a while back and couldn't find anything. So the stuff is copyright, by default. I couldn't see any global site rules about it.
    That said, I will just go and do an unashamed bump! of a thread I started a while back with a progress update as my excuse. It's essentially a begging thread anyway!
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Beging thread? Seriously lost me there.

My thread I've just bumped. Here
    (Not yours ! If you misunderstood! Sorry!)
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

OK the context lost me, that's why I questioned it with ? Didn't want to come across as aggressive and misunderstanding.