Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventure Building

I really like the idea of dual-statting everything for D&D4e/Pathfinder. I believe that stats for custom monsters (for d&d4e) can be published, but for existing monsters you'd just reference page numbers. I think it'd be easy enough for a DM to run it in a more generic system if that's what he wanted. I mean, a throng of goblins is a throng of goblins, no matter which way you slice it.

I certainly don't mind doing some of the writing. I'm no novelist, but it's a hobby. Sounds like Tilt is volunteering to put it all together and make it pretty in the end.

Ravs, any project in which you are involved is bound to be better for it in the end. Thanks for coming!

-IG

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

putting it together and keeping it together is what I do... oh, and a map now and then *lol*
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Why can't you easily design an adventure that works for both Pathfinder and 4e?

Simply because 4e map/encounter requirements are different than any other RPG. In an ideal map/encounter for 4e, there are requirements for large combat spaces riddled with terrain obstacles and multiple entrances for additional foes to show up in a given encounter. If you create a typical dungeon map, for 4e its not ideal. A 10' wide hallway is a detriment to a good 4e encounter.

Any map designed for 1e, 2e, 3x, Pathfinder, HARP, GURPS or any non-4e game will work fine across multiple systems, but it won't be ideal for 4e. One can design a map that's ideal for 4e, that will also work with other systems battles - maps have to be designed to meet 4e needs first to work with non-4e systems.

Its why I don't care to play 4e and why I don't design for 4e. Realistic map design is not condusive to 4e.

I'm not saying creative GMs can't work with a non-4e designed map for 4e, its not ideal for the system. And it would hurt 'sales or wide distribution' of your 4e + other system designed adventure to a 4e audience because of that.

I would think it would be far easier to create a Pathfinder + any non-4e game as a multiple system adventure, as long as 4e is not even a consideration as a part of that multiple system adventure.

(I know Tilt, and other pro-4e gamers might suggest that I'm wrong, but I am convinced of the truth in my statements.)

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 03-07-2011 at 12:12 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Having recently started familiarizing myself with the 4e rules I would have to agree with GP. I also will freely admit I know nothing about Pathfinder, I got as far as 2e in my active playing days and stopped. As far as the caravan idea goes, you can't really go wrong with a classic, especially for a first attempt.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Well, that's what I understood as well about 4e maps GP. My thought was to create maps that at least have some open areas that make for great 4e battles. It's not like that sort of map is going to harm the other systems. At the same time I don't plan to ever create an underground dungeon with huge hallways because it's so very unlikely. I would have some wide areas however that would allow for huge battlefields and that should work for 4e but I have to defer to other's opinions on that as I am pretty much in the same boat as Jtougas.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

A map designed for 1e - 3x/Pathfinder would be exactly the same, no special rules nuance that would require anything different. I've designed maps I thought would work for 4e, and basically got laughed out of town.

You could certainly design a map that would be ideal for 4e, that would effectively work with any other edition or game system - but not the other way around.

My preference is to design a map around a story idea, then pick your system poison to play in it. 4e is not condusive to that kind of design paradigm.

I'm not saying this is not worthy of project to attempt, its just outside my own participation or interest. While I don't have the time, if I did, and you were going to do an adventure idea that involved 3x/Pathfinder and another game system that was not 4e, I would let's do it. But to me, the words '4e and Pathfinder' are opposites and shouldn't be used in the same sentence...

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 03-07-2011 at 01:37 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Like GP, I'd rather design a map to fit the story, not the system. I am 4e through and through, but I'll be damned if I design a 30 ft. wide hallway just to make the controller happy; at some point logic just has to intervene. Being that we're not trying to sell this (at least I don't think we are), that should make it a little easier to do.

I still think it would be a huge mistake not to include 4e stats for encounter elements, regardless of whether or not those particular elements are ideal for the 4e mechanics, or the mechanics of whatever other systems we decide to include (I only suggested 4e and Pathfinder because they seem to be what's hot right now).

Ravs: Thanks for the rep!

Well, I don't know anything about D&D 4e or Pathfinder, so I don't think I'll be able to contribute to the material.

I can offer to proof read and do rewrites as I work with words for a living.

If we want to kick this off seriously, then we need a project leader(s) (IG?tilt?) to provide an overview of the product and to start doing project leadery stuff like putting down milestones etc, identifying what resources are needed (artists? writers? mappers? proof readers?), what the terms of engagement of all these people will be (free? paid?), and all that other good stuff that I know nothing about!

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Well, I don't know anything about D&D 4e or Pathfinder, so I don't think I'll be able to contribute to the material.

I can offer to proof read and do rewrites as I work with words for a living.

If we want to kick this off seriously, then we need a project leader(s) (IG?tilt?) to provide an overview of the product and to start doing project leadery stuff like putting down milestones etc, identifying what resources are needed (artists? writers? mappers? proof readers?), what the terms of engagement of all these people will be (free? paid?), and all that other good stuff that I know nothing about!
    Maybe you won't be able to contribute to the statistical elements, Ravs, but you know a good plot line when you read it. In the end, that's what it's all about; story first, stats later.

Thanks IG. <s>

If we are going to take this seriously, it might be worth having another subforum for it which will be closed to everyone except those involved in the project. Do you want me to float it in the CL discussion forum?

All of this is going to require Arcana's blessing which AFAIK has not yet been received.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast